+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RX7 blank questions...

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    Warren
    maybe, but again, I defy anyone to be able to detect it. I think the bottom line is build, or have built what looks good to YOU, and don't worry about the weight of the guides or the wraps.

Brad
    Exactly my thoughts. Build what you like, and fish it. The differences are much less than you might think by reading a lot of the sites and mags out there. If you really think it's a difference, change 2 or 3 of the tipmost guides to single foot UL wire with minimal wrapping and finish, and be satisfied that you've done as much as practical.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Single foot vs double foot is an interesting arguement. Its not the weight of the guides themselves since a single foot weighs about the same as a double foot. It is the extra wrap that could make the difference. The extra wrap and the length of the two wraps and the snake guide could make the rod faster, however, the extra weight of the second wraps near the tip could actually slow the action (i.e. recovery rate) down (much like overlining a rod). I have never built on the same blank with single foot and double foot guides. It would be an interesting experiment and you would end up with two rods.

In any event, I don't think the change in swing weight would be noticeable either way. So, I guess it boils down to how you like the look and how much you like wraping twice as many guide feet.
    Last edited by dunfly; 08-22-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Take that as an uneducated observation (because that's just what it is), but from reading through this I gather that with snake feet the extra wraps could stiffen the blank making it faster, while the extra weight of the wraps and finish would slow the action down. In practical terms, that sounds like it comes out to being a wash to me. I've built with both single foot and snake guides for the past 12 years, and lately it is all snake guides...purely for the appearance.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Just me Warren but I don't feel single foot versus double foot guides will make any appreciable difference in the blanks action.
    Don't have a clue on a recommendation for a blank but I do understand where you're coming from for the action you wish.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Now is a great time to get yourself a nice Bamboo, they are nice and ssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooowwwww wwwwwwwwwww. I love they way they feel

Out of curiosity I went to no great expense to complete a rudimentary test on the different in single foot and conventional S fly rod guides on the flex of a rod. I took two identical bamboo skewer and wrapped a guide of each type in middle of the skewer. I inserted the butt into a proper size hole in a season oak board and secured a 1 oz. weight at the same point on the tip. The result was the skewer with the single foot guide flex 1/8 in. further than the conventional S guide. No futher testing is anticipated at this time unless a grant from the government is received to complete the work.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Guys

After building a few hundred rods using both single and doulbe foot guides on, I'll tell you I've yet to see the difference other than cosmetic. If anything weighs down the rod, it's the thread along with the epoxy on that thread. But this is nothing. Really nothing. When it comes down to it, each blank will be different from the next, very,very slightly but it will be.
    Here is another perimeter that people don't think about---fly lines. We know all fly lines are not created equal!!!
    Build what you would want the rod to look like.
    The choice of RX7 will be a good one. Using some snake brand guides would be a great choice. ME??? I like to see the look of the classic stripper made from H&H on my rods.
    We all have different thoughts of what is "fast" and "med fast" but if I was looking for a med fast blank it would be one of these.
    AmTak classic
    PacBay traditional
    Batson RX6
    Sevier
    Lamiglass G1000
    and a slightly faster version would be this
    RX7
    AmTak Matrix
    St.Croix SCIII
    My old Diamondback VSR 3pc,5wt is right in the midst of these rods.

As for going back to the older,sweeter casting rods, yea I agree. My favorite rod that I keep going back to is my old Vince Cummings 8 or 8 1/2 foot boron rod. I think the rod casts without me !!!

Randy

I agree with BigDaddy and the others, action-wise, there is no difference between single and double foot guides.

Not sure if I'm too lat to chime in, but, I use a 6 wt., and found it to be very forgiving. The action does fit the description you're looking for.

I can't tell the difference in the guides. I've always considered single foot to be snakes bent in half... I do find that when it comes to wrapping, snakes are a tad easier to keep in place...

I believe you would like the RX7+ blank if you can find one. If not call Dan at Dan Craft and ask if he has some of his Signature 5 blanks

+ Reply to Thread