+ Reply to Thread

Thread: L.L. Bean Waterproof Sling Pack

Hybrid View

Default L.L. Bean Waterproof Sling Pack

I chose the Bean sling over the Orvis because is was a little bigger and less expensive. The sling has some nice features, like a waist belt to help distribute the weight of the pack, but to me, it seems quite heavy. (I had read that it was feather-light.) Does anyone have one? If so, what's it like having it on your back all day?

I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or send it back.

Thanks,

Randy

I hope this is is okay: I'm going to reply to my own thread. I used the L.L. Bean Sling. In many ways it's a great product. The waist belt is really helpful for taking weight off the shoulder, so unlike with other slings, carrying some weight is not a problem. I like that the sling is roomy and has three compartments. The only big problem with it is the shoulder strap. I wanted something I can use in hot weather to replace my fly fishing vest; so I was wearing a very lightweight shirt and the sling's stiff shoulder strap became very uncomfortable when I was walking. Luckily, I had a thick rubber band that I put around the strap, curling it upwards. This helped a lot. Right now, I put a few rubber bands around the strap. I'm hoping that it will loosen it up. If not, I'm thinking of gluing some neoprene on the strap. It's a shame L.L. Bean didn't see this problem. Other than that, this pack would be a winner.

Hi Randy. I looked at it online and couldn't decide if it had decent enough room for flies and gadgets. Does it? Of course I know for some guys, like me, there's never enough room.

Trouble with a lot of room is that you fill it up - then, like mine, it's too heavy. What a dilemma.

I too searched for something to replace my vest which just became uncomfortable. After much trial and error I decided on the orivs safe passage hip pack (all the major companies make something very similar, orvis, simms, fishpond, ll bean). With a lanyard and regular fishing shirt (with big front pockets). I was good to go. Spent a whole bunch of time the last week (in both rain and hear) or so with this set up and was much happier than a vest.

I wanted something with more room than a waistpack - something I can put a rain jacket into. The Bean sling is big enough for that and more. It's bigger than the Orvis sling. If I were wearing a light jacket I suspect the stiff strap wouldn't be an issue.

Randy

+ Reply to Thread