+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orvis fly quality?

Default Orvis fly quality?

I will soon buy a substantial quanity of flies. There is an Orvis store not far from me here. Do they sell good quality flies? What say you? Thanks...
    Gary

NRA
    SCI

You are leaving a lot of speculation in that question. Where are you planning to fish, and for what species?
    Orvis didn't make a name for themselves by selling crap, so I would assume they have good flies available, but ...
    If you are going for bluegill and other sunfish, then a handful of cheap poppers from Walmart will keep you in fish all day.
    "Give advice when asked. Give praise when appropriate. Give discipline when needed. Give respect always."

Gary, there is also a Sportsman's Warehouse off Hwy 65 - Blue Oaks exit. Probably 5 miles from the Orvis at the Fountains. The flies there are le$$ than Orvis and look pretty good.

I've used Orvis flies and they are well tied and good quality. There are some online stores that are about as good but less expensive but, unless you are buying them by the bushell, the shipping cost usually makes up for a lot of the price reduction.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

http://www.flyfishingspecialties.com/ just down the road in Citrus Heights

http://www.kiene.com/ in Sac at Fulton and Marconi.

I would send you to either/or before I sent you to Orifice. That Roseville shop is the absolute worst shop I have EVER been in. Has made me never EVER want to visit an Orifice-only store...and this is AFTER talking to the manager about the service.

Spend money local, if you want to do the brick and mortar thing...keep the local shops in business.
    Last edited by maodiver; 08-21-2012 at 01:28 AM.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

NewTyer 1 Guest

I like Orvis. The only complaint I have is they are pricey and most of thier stuff is imported, even the flies. They have excellant quality and great customer service. Would I buy flies from them? Yup but, you will pay top shelf prices. There are many fly tiers on these fly fishing forums that I think you would get a much better deal from. Try to find one or two and see if they can deliver before you go to Orvis.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
    I will soon buy a substantial quanity of flies. There is an Orvis store not far from me here. Do they sell good quality flies? What say you? Thanks...
    I say no. Too pricey for me. When I buy flies...very seldom these days...I have bought from these folks https://www.hillsdiscountflies.com/index.cfm Used to be a sponsor here and have nice flies and good service. Most, if not all of the flies are tied off shore, but so are the ones at Orvis as I understand it...

YMMV

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

The answer is yes. Orvis sells good quality flies...like they do everything else. You will lose them in trees, bushes, and fish long before they come apart. That they may be too pricey for some, isn't a reflection on the quality.

Meanwhile, learn to tie. You may not save money, but you'll tie flies to your specification. You won't be hostage to the whims of a store that may no longer sell a fly you really like (the reason I learned to tie). Further, your knowledge base will expand significantly.

I have purchased flies from them and have been quite satisfied.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I have examined the quality of flies sold in certain fishing chain stores and am amazed at the quality. Not having been to an Orvis store in many years, i would think the flies they sell would fall into the same category. I would limit myself to the fly fishing chain stores e.g., Cabela's, Gander Mountain, privately owned shops, etc., and not to the stores that sell fly fsihng goods as an added item however such as Walmart. Bes wishes

+ Reply to Thread