+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Decided not to fish SE BC this summer

Default Decided not to fish SE BC this summer

Check this article for reasons. About 20 of them!
    [url=http://www.ariverneversleeps.com/cgi/news/readarticle.cgi?article=55:ea9f2]http://www.ariverneversleeps.com/cgi/news/readarticle.cgi?article=55[/url:ea9f2]

Flyangler,

That's really too bad. Did anyone say what they will do with the 20$ ??

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:143cc]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:143cc]
    Christopher Chin

Flyangler,

I don't know if this is 'good' or 'bad', but your response to it is, from what I can tell from the article, the one they were looking for.

Sounds like those who are willing to pony up the dough will have less crowded conditions to fish in.

Probably a forerunner of things to come...

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:1d476]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:1d476]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

They could consider opening the Elk sooner than June 15 and create more fishing days so that there are no so many per day open. Maintain catch and release on all streams.

We've come to expect higher license fees as out of towners but the perception of flyfishing as a rich man's sport isn't hurt by a fee like this. We were planning to take a week of our two week vacation in BC. Now it's going to be one day or less.

Not only will some get their wish for less crowded streams, they'll also reap what they've sown at their gas pumps, grocery stores, restaurants and lodgings.

Obviously, we can choose to fish elsewhere quite happily, but the south western Albertans who fish the Elk on a daily or weekly basis will also be ponying up for this, and for them, this really bites.

And how 'bout the guides from AB?

Sounds like BC is more concerned about preserving the fisheries than promoting tourism, which is a noble thing in my book. Its too bad you Albertans have to take such a sting since you are hardly a tourist. Hopefully the province will pump that money back into its fisheries programs.

My family's ranch is a 30 minute drive to the headwater tribs of the Elk. I've only fished the BC side once. Never had the urge to go over there and deal with the crowds on the Elk. I am not upset about how much more expensive it will be... Except for one thing.

High prices in eastern BC mean more pressure on the mis-managed, cheap, easy accessible fishing in South East Alberta. Alberta only has 400 fishable waterbodies!! This will mean more people hoppin' my fences, more garbage, more drift boats, etc. Even BC guides will be bringing over more clients.

I don't care about all those that have enough money to have a cabin/summer home in BC (Vancouver got rated as the 3rd best City in the world to live in)... they (people from Alberta with BC homes) have the money to fish elswhere, I'm sure. SE BC has survived booms and busts in the resource industry since the turn of the century, this is nothing like a mine getting shut down. And they have all those great ski hills, and skidoo trails for tourism in the winter anyways. They won't lose too much $.

What about us poor folk that can't afford to go anywhere else to fish? What happens when all the displaced anglers come our way?

------------------
    Paul H.

.???`?...?><((((?>#------

"A dry fly on the rise is the beauty mark of a lovely river."

I live just south of the border and like to run up and fish the lower end of the Elk in the evenings after work.Looks like I will be heading elsewhere to fish now.might have to try the Bull or Bow longer drive but at 20 bucks a day plus season license cost the fishings great but not that great to me when there are so many other places to fish.
    PS.Pharper if I end up over your by families place I promise I will not hop your fence without asking first.It irritates the heck out of me to head out to my granddads place to fish and find some yahoo wandering around his place trying to find a shortcut to the good holes on his place[there aren't any I have to wade to get to the holes too]Guess they don't know that some of those cows are bulls and get pretty owly if they aren't familiar with you.Hope they don't tear their waders on the fence on the way out.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

Since I already pay an extra conservation surcharge to fish in various "classified water" I have no real problem paying a little more. That being said I feel for Albertans and the situation they now face.

this is from the end of the link provided above
    "B.C. anglers who have been fishing the southeastern rivers for years have noted a steady increase in pressure. Trailheads and drift boat access points now typically have several vehicles parked at them almost every day in the summer. And it is difficult to find a section of the river to wade without seeing dozens of boats go by in a day.

On the Elk River licensed commercial guides/assistants increased from 9, in 1995, to 52 in 2002. Guided days on the Elk jumped during the same period from 149 to more than 1500."

Now compared to some of the more popular US rivers and the fishing pressure they receive this may not seem like much, but it has started. Once damage has been done to the fishery it takes a long time for the ecosystem to recover. I won't even get into all of the opinions I have on this issue, it would be way too long.

I guess it's just a sign of the times. If you feel strongly about it contact BC government , it's tourism and fisheries ministries, or contact your local representatives. By all, means don't just post here, let 'em know!

+ Reply to Thread