Quote Originally Posted by Fishingfiend View Post
I got the answers to my original question and thought the thread was over. Now I see I kicked a bit of a hornet's nest. I did not mean to bring about so much ... unrest ...
But Mojo ... I cannot speak for everyone who was once a cane pole kid, but I can tell you that my Dad didn't much like fishing with live bait. He considered that to be harvesting, not fishing. Before I was old enough to "own" my own fly rod, I was taught to "fly fish" with a cane pole. With a length of fly line and mono leader and a fly, all of which was equal to the length of the pole, I learned to cast the line and fly to the end of it's length. Most of the places I fished, this would get you to several good bluegill areas and one could catch a stringer full in an hour or so.
I thought this was how everyone used a cane pole for the first couple of years of my fishing career.
Harvesting, not fishing? I guess I'm confused here. Anyway, so as a kid, you'd take the cane pole and cast a fly (in the style of fly casting with a fly rod) and you'd catch a stringer of 'gills in an hour. Not to cause trouble, but isn't what you did harvesting?
All in all, fish how you want. If one thinks Tenkara is dapping, to them it is a form of it. If you believe what you did as a kid is the same, that's cool. That's what makes the world go 'round, and keeps ff'ing forums hopping.
Now, on another forum that will be nameless, to hijack the thread, was another discussion about "is fishing with a fly and water bubble and spinning outfit fly fishing, or is it just fishing with a fly?"