+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Gill on Poppers

Hybrid View

Default First Gill on Poppers

Attached is a photo of the first bluegill I caught on one of my homemade poppers. Eyes didn't seem to matter much to the fish. They fell off and the fish still hit the fly. The eyes had adhesive backs and I also put some loctite on them, but they still fell off the faom body. I just wanted to show that even badly made poppers will catch some fish. Thanks for all of your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If fish only took great flies then there would be no fly fishers. Try Softex or 5 Minute Epoxy, or Sally Hansen's to hold those eyes on. But, the fish still won't care.

Bream as we classify sunfish down here are the teenage boys of the fish world. They see a fly and think "I bet I can get than in my mouth!" Their charm is they are usually willing to strike, fight hard for their weight and are delicious rolled in cornmeal and deep fried.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Taking a guess. If you have a dremel tool then hit the area where the eye will go and make it flat.
    I use the sanding drum to do this, if I put eyes on.

Rick

I do have a dremel. What do you suggest as glue besides Softex or Sally Hansons? I do have a bottle of Sally Hanson.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

After about 15 years of making and fishing foam bugs for both the "bream' group, and their big cousin, large mouth bass, and trying almost every glue ever recommended, I have two comments: 1) DO NOT use any of the CA(super) glues! They become brittle and the eyes come off in short order; and, 2) Use Goop, any 'Flavor", thinned with either Toluene or Xylene (home-made flexament) and the eyes will stay on forever. My 90 year old fly fishing buddy had one he made that survived over 40 bass from 2-6 lbs, with the eyes still intact, but with severe corneal abrasion. The eyes were glued on with the home made flexament. A tube of Goop and a pint of Toluene will make a near-life-time supply.

+ Reply to Thread