+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you care to donate some flies to a Reel Recovery Outing?

One set of flies already here! Very nice!
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Blog Entries

Still wondering where or who to send them to...
    If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they go."

Will Rogers

Corvus you should have a PM . .
    ----------------
    Wayne

I would love to help out with this but I have two problems. I don't have enough experience tying, yet, to consistently turn out a good looking fly and I don't have enough materials on hand.
    I'll hopefully have both of those remedied before the next charity event.
    "Give advice when asked. Give praise when appropriate. Give discipline when needed. Give respect always."

Quote Originally Posted by Fishingfiend View Post
    I would love to help out with this but I have two problems. I don't have enough experience tying, yet, to consistently turn out a good looking fly and I don't have enough materials on hand.
    I'll hopefully have both of those remedied before the next charity event.
    I bet you could tie up a small herd of Zebra/Mercury midges like this:

#22 scud hook
    thread body with silver wire rib
    bead head - mercury (optional; dirt cheap at any craft store) or silver brass

You get good at them in a hurry, but even ugly ones catch fish and tailwater trout really like them. Here's a couple good SBSs:
    http://stevenojai.tripod.com/instzebra.htm
    http://www.skip-morris-fly-tying.com...ing-steps.html

Regards,
    Scott

Okay, thank you ScottP, for the suggestion ... count me in for some Mercury Midges. I've never tried tying a #22 anything as I don't use them for bass or panfish. I'll get the hooks and beads Monday or Tuesday and get started this week.
    What's a good number to tie and send? How many people do you usually get fishing?
    "Give advice when asked. Give praise when appropriate. Give discipline when needed. Give respect always."

WayneP. I am sorry, I think I have to back out of the offer to tie some Mercury Midges. I went to the Outfitters to get some #22 hooks and the other supplies for tying. Excuse my language when I say, "Holy F*(&#^G S@*T !!!"
    I've been tying some stuff for about a month now. But when I tried to look at those #22 scud hooks, my eyesight failed. I had to drive home by braille. My mother always warned me that my face would stick like the face I was making, I didn't realize she meant a squinting face too.
    I am still working on my cheapo vice, and I don't even think it would hold those hooks.

I did tie ten practice midges last night, using up what I thought were tiny hooks that I knew I'd never use. After seeing those #22s at the store today, I understand that the hooks I tied on are bigger versions of TINY.

I'll take a picture of the ones I tied ... if you can use them, I'll send them.

My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishingfiend View Post
    WayneP. I am sorry, I think I have to back out of the offer to tie some Mercury Midges. I went to the Outfitters to get some #22 hooks and the other supplies for tying. Excuse my language when I say, "Holy F*(&#^G S@*T !!!"
    I've been tying some stuff for about a month now. But when I tried to look at those #22 scud hooks, my eyesight failed. I had to drive home by braille. My mother always warned me that my face would stick like the face I was making, I didn't realize she meant a squinting face too.
    I am still working on my cheapo vice, and I don't even think it would hold those hooks.

I did tie ten practice midges last night, using up what I thought were tiny hooks that I knew I'd never use. After seeing those #22s at the store today, I understand that the hooks I tied on are bigger versions of TINY.

I'll take a picture of the ones I tied ... if you can use them, I'll send them.

My apologies.
    We regularly use zebra midges of size 16, 18 & 20's as well. Not sure if those are large enough for you. They dont have to be 22's. I hardly tie any that small

I appreciate the effort!

Wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne

Wayne, I am half done... will have a couple dozen #16 soft hackles in the mail hopefully Saturday. Pheasant tails and hares ears done.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Sound great quivira kid! Thank you very much.
    ----------------
    Wayne

+ Reply to Thread