Hi Guys, just back from Raro, had a great time as usual over there. I did not fish very much, I had a day out with Captain Moko and managed the best fish of the day, after the other guys took pity on me and let me have the last strike of the day!here it is.

I did manage to take the fly rod for a walk a couple of times and had great fun catching all sorts of reef fish like these.

From close to the coral, just casting off the sand. Those Cornet fish grow to some impressive sizes, the biggest one I managed was not far short of a metre long and actually managed to pull some line of the reel.
The last time I took the rod out I fished one of the outlets from the lagoon and managed to hook about six of these in an hour and a half, landing 4 and losing two.

As the day came to an end I changed from a biggish streamer to a small tan gotcha thinking to try for a few more reef fish and got absolutely smashed by a big Bluefin Trev in the 12 to 15lb bracket that took the fly about 40ft out and ran between two coral heads before tearing away towards the horizon, the fly line shot through the guides at a very fast rate and even burned my finger before the last six inches of lose fly line flicked up and looped around the reel handle bringing everything to a very sudden end as the 15lb tippet broke with a very load crack! Bugger!! Still it was fun while it lasted.
Have to say the Lagoon fishing up there just seams to get better and better, other than the above no real monsters but lots of reef fish and lots of fun.
The snorkeling is superb, my wife and I saw Turtles, Huge Moray eels and a big school of Long Tail Stingrays as well as loads of Goatfish, Flame Tailed Snapper, Peacock Grouper and too many others to list, it really is like swimming in a fish tank. Add to that lots of Sunshine, very friendly locals and some great restaurants and you have a superb holiday!
All the best.
Mike.