+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: St. Croix Bank Robber

Loomis has changed the replacement fee for a broke rod to $100.00.As for thinking outside the box concerning my bait cast spinning rods if I have to have a company to tell me that I NEED a spinnerbait model rod to do that and I can't figure out the regular models use I don't need to be fishing for that.When my dad was alive he had 3 bait cast rods,two in med-hvy action and one in medium and he knew what each could cast best,no labels to tell him that.But he also said all those lures are to catch fisherman not so much the fish.

What did I miss? What does a Loomis spinner/bait model rod got to do with a St Croix Bank Robber?
    I love MK's description on the tip. I was trying to describe the St. Croix I got. It is a fast action with a little give in just the tip..."Ugly Stick"...perfect!
    With companies rating their flex differently one needs to test drive to find which is right for them. Some name their flexes like LT, JWF, BIIx, etc. You learn what these names/letters mean. And Orvis rates their flexes with numbers. But, nothing takes away from the fact, you need to cast to know.I have had people recommend rods to me on my casting choice and they have been darn close.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Has loomis changed their customer service? I know a lot of EX- Loomis owners. I recently was given a St.Croix (my first and not the Bank Robber). While a little heavier than my other rods and the cheaper hardware, it is not a bad rod at all. It is advertized as Med-Fast, but definitely fast.
    With that being said, I am impressed. This new Bank Robber being USA made, Lifetime Warranty, and Mid Price, it could easily make a strong statement.

As far as the 20' cast????? Isn't that just a lob or a flip? How does one cast two rod lengths of line?
    Smoothly, impressive for a seven weight right?

I'll throw in 2 thumbs up for the Bank Robber. I've got the 6wt...I bought and sold many rods looking for the perfect 6wt streamer rod. So when my friend let me try his Bank Robber...I immediately sold the latest 6wt I had and bought the Bank Robber. Throws weighted lines with big heavy flies like you dream about. An added bonus is it's also great with floating lines too. Enough flex in the tip for in close work and plenty of back bone in the butt for distance. It's hard to explain but all the other rods I tried seemed to "jerk" when the line/fly straightene out..I think it's because they were all to stiff/fast. The Bank Robber has a more forgiving tip and as a result I don't feel that jerk when casting.

~Rich

I have two of Galloups streamer DVDs. His techniques and flies are really specific. The Bank Robber rod is what he designed to match his style. I tried mine with other methods like dry fly fishing, and I have to tell you, it IS specific to streamer fishing.
    With heavily weighted flies, shorter accurate casts are the name of the game. Lobbing or casting, this rod does it nicely.

Loufly

Your right loufly...the Galloup rods are definitely designed for a specific purpose and they do that job well. I wouldn't suggest the Bank Robber for someone who is looking for an all round type of fly rod. It's definitely a "STREAMER" rod. It is not a dry fly rod but then if all I had was a broom stick, I'd make it work. It works well for mouse fishing and big night flies like gurglers as well. I have a bad habit...or rather I can't stop the reaction of raising the rod when I hear a big fish hit the fly at night. The Bank Robbers softer tip does assist in more hook ups because that fly stays where it needs to be, just that nano-second longer that it does with my Legend Elite rod which was my rod of choice for night fishing.

I would be interested in trying out the nymphing rod he's recently designed. ... again... these rods are for a specific purpose. The first of their kind really. It's the reason some of us get into rod building, so we can build rods that meet a more personal set of styles and conditions.

But keep in mind that you can fly fish most situations adequately, with just one well picked rod in your arsenal. Mine has been a 9 ft 5 wt since the very beginning of my fly fishing career. It's still my most used rod today.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

So, being a streamer rod, how would this work as a stillwater rod. I know a guy that has a Sage 99 and he is a stillwater fanatic. Swears the 99 is the best stillwater rod he's had, even though it was supposed to be a nymphing rod.

Okay, I traded some flies for a Rio Santo. I know, a much cheaper St. Croix. Can anyone tell me how this stacks up?

I have been using my Bank Robber for stillwater fishing also. The extra give in the tip prevents break offs in my opinion. There really is no difference between throwing streamers on the river with a sinking head and casting leeches with my intermediate sink line. The idea is to be able to cast and work large flies easier. Like others have said though, you can make any rod work for what you want with some imagination.

Loufly

Funny name for a rod; what's next, the Sage Corporate Raider ?
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread