+ Reply to Thread

Thread: St. Croix Bank Robber

Hybrid View

Default St. Croix Bank Robber

Has anyone fished with the Bank Robber series of rods from St. Croix? I had the opportunity to cast one at my local fly shop and was quite impressed. It seemed to have good feel in close at ~20 feet, and I had no problems casting 50-60 feet without a haul. The components seemed to be of good quality and it had very nice cork.

I'm interested to see if anyone has fished with the rod, or has any other further hands on experience.

Blog Entries

My wife has a 7wt and I have a 6wt. It is a seriously well-designed rod with the Kelly Galloup line that was designed for it. I am less-impressed with the presentation and more impressed with the distance they can generate with ease... Not at all what I expected. The biggest problem my wife has had with hers is the fact she cannot keep our son away from it.

I can comfortably cast the entire line with minimal wind and in the wind casting a 12' piece of T14 and a fly the size of a mallard worked quite well. We caught lots of very large rainbows on hers on the Kvichak River in June. Which is why I have the new 6wt.

You will like it!

Quote Originally Posted by RALMD11 View Post
    It seemed to have good feel in close at ~20 feet
    Well that's a pleasant surprise. Given what it was designed for, that's exactly what I expected it wouldn't handle well.

Sorry, I haven't tried one. I've had good experiences with St. Croix rods. They are not flashy and sexy, but are solid go-to rods at a decent price point. I like the "Bank Robber" name, too.

I bought the six weight a few months ago and will tell you I am impressed. I do most of my streamer fishing from a drift boat and can keep the big flies out of ears and backs. When wade fishing, I am able to cast most of the line with ease. I have the 200 grain sinking head line that was designed by Kelly Galloup too. I have four St. Croix rods and this is my favorite so far.

Loufly

I have not even seen one but have steered away from these specific rod series.Loomis has there shore series also and in there bait cast and spinning rods I think that they have everything you can imagine up to a sinker,hook,chicken liver model!I guess if people have the money the companies will continue to make em.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I have not even seen one but have steered away from these specific rod series.Loomis has there shore series also and in there bait cast and spinning rods I think that they have everything you can imagine up to a sinker,hook,chicken liver model!I guess if people have the money the companies will continue to make em.
    Or, it could be people want a dedicated streamer rod, made for that style of fishing. Some people do think outside the box.

+ Reply to Thread