Managed to get out from work a little early today. Of course, I headed over to the pond that?s on-property to do a little fishing.

Wind was out of the north, as the cold front had come through. I grabbed my fly rod, and tied on a Bead Chain Wooly Bugger in olive. I caught a few fish on this last Sunday, so I wanted to try it again.

I made a couple casts out. You have to let the bug sink almost to bottom, and slowly strip it in to get fish to bite. Since I?ve got the bead chain on the ?top? of the hook, the bug inverts and swims with the point up, reducing the snagging. I could feel when I was hung on something down there, but the bug would jump off and swim for a few feet with just a little pressure.

Well, one of those snags wasn?t a snag! I kept applying pressure, then I felt a head-shake, so I gave the rod a little pop upwards and started stripping in line. It felt like it had some good size to it. I was expecting one of the big Hybrid Sunfish that are in this pond, but it wasn?t running like the sunnies do. I got it close to the surface, then I saw the green flash as it rolled. Nice!

I caught a LMB on this bug the last time I used it. I may have to tie up some more, especially as the tails came off today.