+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter fishing in Colorado?

Default Winter fishing in Colorado?

We are considering a winter vacation this year when I get home on R&R. Some time around December 28th through the first week of January. Living in Houston we obviously do not get any snow and we've never been to the mountains. We are wanting to take our 2 daughters to see "real" snow and do some skiing, sledding, snow mobiling and whatever else it is that you guys do up there!

While there I want to take full advantage and try my hand at fly fishing for trout in an actual mountain stream. Anyone have any suggestions for a place that is at, or near a ski resort, and also has fly fishing during that time of year? Also, what about guide recommendations? I would be the only one fishing and would like a full day trip, (maybe TWO if I can convince, (i.e. BRIBE), the wife!).

I live in the Denver area and sometimes, on warmer days, will go fishing in the winter. Temperatures will often get up to 45-50 degrees here in the afternoon in the winter, so it can be pretty pleasant to fish then. The temperatures at night will commonly be in the low 20's, so there is a lot of ice in the shady areas.

If you are near a ski area, you will likely be around 8000 ft elevation or higher. Lows will be around zero and highs around freezing. Rivers will still be flowing, but often with lots of ice. Your best bet is to fish just downstream from a dam. One place that comes to mind is the Blue River in Silverthorne. This place is right in the middle of a shopping center, so you should not expect the classical "mountain trout stream" experience, but it is fishable in the winter. This is close to the ski resorts of Breckenridge, Keystone and Copper Mountain.

You should be prepared to stand in water in very cold weather and have your line freeze in the guides of your rod. Plan on wearing fingerless gloves with latex gloves underneath and having numb fingers anyway.

Hope you get some more encouraging suggestions

Ted

Ted, compared to where I'm at right now (Afghanistan with 130 degree heat),standing in cold water fly fishing sounds awesome!!
    Thanks for the reply anyway. Some reading I did today did mention fishing below a damn so hopefully I can find something like that wherever we end up.

If it doesn't HAVE to be Colorado, consider Missoula MT.

First fish of the year - on January 1.

Plus, all the things you mention for snow related activities are right in or just outside of town.

John

P.S. If we get a really nasty, cold winter, the fishing might be next to impossible, or impossible.
    The fish are always right.

Check out Winter Park for the snow activities. The Colorado river is nearby and the Williams Fork tailwater flows into it near Parshall. The water is usually open there at that time of year and there is some decent fishing. The fishing sites are not especially scenic, but it usually fishes well.

Another possibility is the Eldora ski resort near Nederland, west of Boulder. This is a smaller resort and tends to be a locals place which also means it is less expensive. South Boulder creek, below the Gross reservoir dam, is usually open water then. Smaller trout, but more scenic. Boulder creek, which runs next to the road between Boulder and Nederland, will probably also be open. Your family could use Boulder as your base camp for the trip as there is more to see and do than in Nederland and, with CU out for the winter break, it won't be too crowded then.

Estes Park doesn't have a ski resort but is in a spectacular mountain valley and there should be open waters nearby. The Eldora ski resort is not too far away and the town is next to Rocky Mountain National Park. It is a tourist town in the summer, with lots of lodging options, but my impression is that the crowds die down in the winter. I also suspect there are places there where the locals go for sledding, but don't know this for sure.

Thanks for your service! Wherever you end up going for this trip, I hope you and your family have a wonderful time. You ALL deserve it!

Brad
    Last edited by oldfrat; 08-08-2012 at 03:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread