+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpha vs. Beta

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    What he said
    Agreed, that is well said....but, I for one, will never spend that kind of dough for a stick of graphite.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Well here is a Sage I won't even consider buying.

http://www.pitchengine.com/sage/sage...-the-one-elite

Price: $1295
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Wow Kerry, That's like paying 64 cents for every year since Jesus was born.
    Last edited by Lotech; 08-08-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Stepping on my soap box....

The cost of innovation:

It amazes me that folks will complain about the cost of an item that they will never buy. Especially when the complaint is based purely on price.

The reality is that most of the time, after some years have passed, the very technology that was funded by the first adopters now becomes inexpensive enough for those same individuals (who initially complained) to now afford the very same technology.

We see that happen repeatedly in automobiles, in flat screen TVs, household appliances, and, yes, in fly fishing. Butt over tip ferrules, multi-piece fly rods, sealed disc drags, machined and anodized reels, high modulus graphite, etc, etc. All were very expensive at first and now are affordable.

So if you complain or say that "you" would never buy an item, remember and thank those that will because they are ones that eventually pay down the cost of research and innovation that eventually makes the same item cheap enough for you to afford it.

Stepping off my soap box....
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I don't care if the price of a new, once was very expensive graphite rod, comes down to bargain level prices, I still wouldn't buy it!

Just "me". Multi-piece fly rods?? is that a new innovation??
    Last edited by bobbyg; 08-08-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I hope I can say this without offense...I don't understand starting threads like this. There are all kinds of reasons people own things, and why does it really matter to anyone else? If you like the inexpensive gear and it does the job for you, why do you care if someone else is willing to spend $700+ for a rod? Conversely, if you own expensive gear, and someone else gets just as much pleasure fishing with his $100 oufit, isn't that OK? If you prefer bamboo is it really necessary to act superior to those who don't? Own and use what you like and/or what you can afford, and what makes you happy, and don't worry about anyone else.

There; soapbox dismounted. C'mon everybody, group hug !
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I'm going to jump in here again. Why, because there is a conversation about the cost of rods, reels, waders, pickup trucks or anything else some feel as if the conversation is contentious? I have enjoyed most of this thread and some of my contributions could be considered antagonistic, they weren't meant that way. It is simply my opinion. I don't consider them correct or superior just simple views from a fisherman. I hope others don't completely agree and also encourage them to voice thier opinions. The world would be truly boring without diversity and discussions where all engaged have the same opinion would not be discussions at all. Just a bumch of people sitting around nodding thier heads in agreement which doesn't work well on the internet.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    I'm going to jump in here again. Why, because there is a conversation about the cost of rods, reels, waders, pickup trucks or anything else some feel as if the conversation is contentious? I have enjoyed most of this thread and some of my contributions could be considered antagonistic, they weren't meant that way. It is simply my opinion. I don't consider them correct or superior just simple views from a fisherman. I hope others don't completely agree and also encourage them to voice thier opinions. The world would be truly boring without diversity and discussions where all engaged have the same opinion would not be discussions at all. Just a bumch of people sitting around nodding thier heads in agreement which doesn't work well on the internet.
    Well, you're right of course. But IMHO similar threads usually turn into the cheap equipment guys saying it's dumb to pay that much for a rod, and the expensive guys (or gals) saying something like "if you understood the difference you'd understand." But as you say, we're all entitled to our opinion. I was just giving mine based on my history with these types of threads.
    Last edited by Prairieschooner; 08-08-2012 at 10:45 PM.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Kerry, not for a minute did I take any offense at your remarks. I once had the opportunity to cast a Sage Z-Axis. It performed better for me and my casting style than any other rod I've ever cast. The problem for me was that at $700 it was and still is completely out of my budget. Especially now that I'm no longer working. What I own now, is what I fish with and will continue to fish with. And yes, if I could find a Z-Axis for less that $100, I'd sell something and buy it. For now, I'm perfectly happy with my 8 1/2', 4 piece, 5 weight, Ross Essence FW. No I didn't pay the $220 they were asking for it. It was given to me by my daughter. My only question is and was, is that new $700+ rod 3 times as good as my $220 dollar rod? I really don't think so.
    Same here Kerry, I intend no offense to any other opinion.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I have some expensive rods (Scott and Winston) and some inexpensive rods (Cabela's and Reddington). I've caught fish with all of them.

The Scotts (G2) are a joy to cast as is the Winston (BIIt). However, the inexpensive rods Reddington R2 I believe and Cabelas Traditional II are also a joy to cast.

Guess I'm one of those guys who likes a fine wine and a glass of beer just about the same.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread