+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha vs. Beta

Hybrid View

Default Alpha vs. Beta

Alpha Fly Rod company makes domestic graphite fly rods, and they are dandy rods. One of their top of the line freshwater rods sells for $440. That price range is within the budget of several serious fly fishing enthusiasts, but considerably out of the budget parameters of the serious but frugal fly fisher. Myself included. Still it is a most effective rod. Along comes Beta Fly Rod company. They also make domestic graphite fly rods. Their comparable rods also do a most effective job of performing for the fly fisher. However, their sale price is $745. Here's the rub with me;
    Is the rod produced by the Beta Fly Rod Company so much better than the rod produced by the Alpha Fly Rod Company, that they can charge $305 more? These are not bamboo, they are mass produced graphite rods. Neither rod is bionic (lighter, faster, stronger, we have the technology), they are fishing tools. Is the main reason people buy the Beta rod that they get more oooh's and aaah's, or is it really worth that much more? What say all?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I think if you mentioned to some of the employees at a premium rod builder like Sage that their rods are "mass produced graphite rods" in a tone I think I hear in your post you might get an unfriendly argument back. I have toured the Sage facilities and their rods aren't what I would classify as mass produced. Are they good enough to warrant a price tag of over 700 dollars? Apparently they are. I own several and so do many other people. Sage has been getting top dollar for their rods for sometime now. I would say they must be doing something correct whether that be producing a product deserving seven to eight hundred dollar per piece or good marketing. Something is working for them.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I knew I used the wrong words when I said mass produced. My point I guess is that a fly rod company can build a hundred graphite rods in the same amount of time it takes to make one bamboo. I know that Sage makes as perfect a rod as is possible. I just know that their rods will never be in my budget or in the budget of many more, and that makes me sad.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Who cares who's name is on a rod? I never got caught up in the I have to have a (insert the latest trendy brand here) rod because it is the "best brand". You should worry about how the rod casts in YOUR hands, not the name on the rod or what some marketing genius claims you need. Latley, I have been fishing rods that I have assembled or built myself, but I do own a few factory rods. I try to cast all of the latest factory rods at the shows that I attend and most of the time I am not impressed. Most feel like casting the late Caswell's broomstick. One of my favorite factory rods is a Cabelas Three Forks...go figure.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

So. Say you are standing up on a hill over a trout stream and you see two people fishing the stream. Both are seasoned fishermen. One has a $200 Cabellas rod and one has a $700 Sage. Can you tell which rod is which?

You come back the next day. Two new fishermen. One is an expert and one is a novice. Both are casting $400 middle of the line graphites. Can you tell which is the expert?

There is no right answer here. But how you answer these questions may be an indicator of which rod you own or would like to own. It's your money. Spend it however you want. But Brad is right. Cast it first.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Beta Rod Company is closing out several rod series this year and many of those rods will be below the four hundred dollar mark, maybe you can afford one after all.

Sigma Fly Rod Companies 2013 Lineup and 2012 Close Outs: http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blo...approach-circa

Don't be sad, B^)
    Dave

Last edited by Dave E; 08-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.

If you're a good caster, you can make anything with snake guides and a half-wells grip sing and dance; this person could realize the difference between Alpha and Beta and determine if the cost is worth it. If you're a poor caster (my hand is raised here), you hope and pray the extra money spent on that fancy assemblage of carbon fibers suddenly turns those tailing loops and wind knots into 80 footers with a single false cast; better off spending the money on casting lessons.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    Is the main reason people buy the Beta rod that they get more oooh's and aaah's, or is it really worth that much more? What say all?
    Honestly I dont know and dont care.

The beauty of a free market - build the item you want to build and sell if for the price you want to sell it. As long as it sells for that price then the company will remain in business. It doesn't have to be special or better or unique or different.

You as the consumer have the choice to buy the expensive item or the cheaper item. You dont need to have any particular reason other than that is the one you want.

I dont get the point of trying to justify fly rod prices or purchases. i will never condemn a company for selling a rod at whatever price they want to sell it for. It is their business and their choice. But I also reserve the right to choose not to buy that particular rod. I also will never condemn (or envy) another person for their purchase of any rod no matter why they choose to purchase it. Heck if you think the color of the blank brings out the flecks in your eyes and that is enough justification for you to pay the price then good for you, glad you found something to make you happy.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
    Honestly I dont know and dont care.

The beauty of a free market - build the item you want to build and sell if for the price you want to sell it. As long as it sells for that price then the company will remain in business. It doesn't have to be special or better or unique or different.

You as the consumer have the choice to buy the expensive item or the cheaper item. You dont need to have any particular reason other than that is the one you want.

I dont get the point of trying to justify fly rod prices or purchases. i will never condemn a company for selling a rod at whatever price they want to sell it for. It is their business and their choice. But I also reserve the right to choose not to buy that particular rod. I also will never condemn (or envy) another person for their purchase of any rod no matter why they choose to purchase it. Heck if you think the color of the blank brings out the flecks in your eyes and that is enough justification for you to pay the price then good for you, glad you found something to make you happy.
    Well said.....
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

What he said
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread