For scale.

For show.

For sure.

No fluke.

No kidding.

Naturally.

A few days ago when I was on the Lochsa, I noticed several large drakes. A little research indicated they were, as I suspected, green drakes.

While planning my day this morning, I decided to do something to be prepared for the drakes. What else - another FEB. But this is where Duck ( aka on the BB as ducksterman ) comes in. Duck gave me a good assist way back when when I started tying the FEB flies. And just recently, while reviewing an older thread started by Duck, I picked up on his idea of using StretchMagic to give the FEB a bit more "body."

Down to the basement. A size 20 Partridge Klinkhamer hook - because it was handy, because it is a light hook, and because it provides just about the right length shank for the new fly.

Next, one strand of olive antron, plus one strand of .5mm StretchMagic, plus three moose body hairs to incorporate as tails.

With the FEB with tails assembled and mounted to the hook, I tied in a light gray antron post, tied in size 12 grizzly hackle, binding it to the post high enough for a good number of turns down, and then dubbed the thorax with the best color match superfine dubbing at hand.

The parachute is a variation that I first used last summer on a yellow sally. At the time, I called it 9DH for a 90 degree hackle. The parachute is the usual thing, with about six turns down to the top of the thorax. The variation is that instead of tying off the hackle, it is then wrapped forward over the dubbing with three turns around the shank to just behind the eye, then tied off. The last step is to trim the hackle on the underside in the "thorax" style.

Off to the river. Caught the hatch. Caught the fish. About fifteen fishies on and about ten in hand in not much more than an hour of fishing Duck's Green Drake.

On the way home, I was thinking about the fun I've had fishing the various FEBs over the past three years. I might have stumbled on a couple of the really important pieces without Duck being there in the background. Then again, I might not have. So I decided to name this one for Duck, a tribute to him, and to FAOL, and to the FAOL Bulletin Board.

John