+ Reply to Thread

Thread: floatant for line?

Default floatant for line?

Now that I have a Tenkara, I will be more committed to furled lines/leaders, and wondered what to use for flotant? Seems that at one time you had to use red mucillin paste to be effective on the leaders, but wondered if there is anything else out there? And do you use flotant even if you are using something like Tenkara flies? Think I'm going to really enjoy this.

I have used furled leaders for most of my years fly fishing and have used ginks paste mostly. I am however just about out of my bottle, and was recomended the Red Mucillen by someone of whom I trust. I will be ordering it from Cabelas soon.

Cheers,
    Brandon

You dont use flotant on the mono leaders, do you?

We like and use Loon Payette Paste on furled leaders if...and this is an if...we have a need for the line to float. With Tenkara traditionally the goal is to keep all (at least as much as possible) of the line off the water. When your working to do this anything that adds additional mass to the line is a hindrance. A few brisk false casts will force much of the built up water out of a furled line and keeps the line weight less. There are some times like on a lake when you may want to lay a line out to increase reach. And that is when the paste comes in handy. One application though and that line is treated for the day so be sure that is how you want to fish the line for the extent of the day or have a second line to switch to if you want to sink the line or hold it up off the water.

+ Reply to Thread