+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rock Creek MT

Default Rock Creek MT

Hey! This summer I'll be taking a trip to Monatana, and am planning to fish Rock Creek. I've never been there, but we have friends that do and he said it was great fishing. I was jsut wondering if anyone had any advice for fishing there in late June, thru mid July, like good patterns, and little things about it and stuff? Anything would be good really. Thanks!
    Matt

Beware going to Rock Creek in mid-September or you might run into this annual "celebration".
    [url=http://www.testyfesty.com/:f1212]http://www.testyfesty.com/[/url:f1212]

Once again, Beware!

Bob

Welcome to the board. Rock Creek is a great place to fish, there are high numbers of trout along it's entire legnth. The water should continue to drop making it better and better for wading.

There are a lot of different insects up there. You should hope to see golden stones, a few salmonflies (way up high), green drakes, yellow sallies, pmds, caddis, and others.

When you find fish that are rising you'll probably want to match the hatch with whatever they're eating. They can be selective.

I like to fish way up high as much as I like to fish down low. You should drive the road up and look for water that you want to fish.

Good looking pools always hold fish on Rock Creek so you should consider nymphing if there are no fish rising. Mostly smaller stuff works well. Things like san juan worms, caddis pupa, prince nymph, small hare's ear, pheasant tail. Pretty standard flies really. The Mercantile on Rock Creek will have a lot of good advice and some special patterns too, you should check them out.

Tks Ben, I agree on the fly shop, it's a must.

Thanks! Yeah, I saw the website for the mercantile and thought that it looked like a good place to stop.
    So, I should use smaller flies for nymphs, or all flies? I was reading on Bigskyfishing.com and they were saying to use larger flies than the hatch, but I don't know. Thanks for the advice!

oh yeah, about fishing licenses. I'm not 16 so I don't need one, but my dad and brother do. Since we live out of state, do they have to get Montana fishing licenses, or would a license from a different state work?

They will need to get Montana licenses which can be done online before you go. It's very easy to do. Just type montana fishing license into a search engine and tou'll find it. Have a ball. RC
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

Ok, thanks!

Matt,
    They will need licenses...They should be available at Fisherman's Merchantile.

------------------
    Enjoying life in the North Idaho Panhandle....Psalm 91
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

+ Reply to Thread