+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tying Tenkara Flies DVD

Default Tying Tenkara Flies DVD

Warning - shameless plug follows

The Tying Tenkara Flies DVD I worked on with LearnTenkara.com has just been released.

It is a full 2.5 hours and covers 19 flies (17 patterns). There is an introduction by Japanese tenkara master Dr. Ishigaki, along with underwater footage of the flies and on-stream footage of fish being caught with some of them. It even answers the question of why the hackle is pointed the "wrong" way for a wet fly.

Most of the flies tied in the video are in the tenkara style, although Hans Weilenmann' CDC & Elk is included, as is Frank Sawyer's Killer Bug. (I still catch more fish on a Killer Bug than any other fly, by far.)

It was a lot of fun to make and I hope that people who have been dabbling with the tenkara style of fly would find it interesting and helpful. More than that, I hope it will put fish on your line (and I really think it will).

http://www.tenkarabum.com/tying-tenkara-flies-dvd.html
    Tenkara Bum

Chris,

I have ordered the Tying Tenkara Flys DVD.

Could you please give us some tips on how to present the Killer Bug fly.

Regards,
    FK

I too would enjoy some Killer Bug tips on presentation, including still water.

I have the dvd sitting here and just ordered some supplies (some from Tbum) for my first foray into fly tying. I'm new to fly/tenkara fishing as well, but was in Yellowstone recently and caught my lone trout on the Gallatin using the killer bug. I was under the impression you fished it much like the other tenkara flies with the twitching motion. Cant wait to start tying my own stuff.

I mostly fish the killer bug dead drift. Frank Sawyer developed the pattern to represent a scud, and scuds can swim quite well. I have had a number of hits while pulsing the fly, similar to the way a sakasa kebari is pulsed. However, many strikes are so subtle that if you are bouncing the line around you won't be able to tell if the line movement is from you or a fish.

For still water, after the cast I let it sink a bit, and often get a hit shortly after the fly hits the water. If I don't get a hit right away I pull it towards me slowly but steadily, with an occasional slight pause. Tighten the line at the slightest twitch or hesitation. I find that bluegills rival trout for their ability to hit a fly and spit it out again without any indication either seen or felt. More so than with trout, many times I'll see the fish hit the fly rather than see the line twitch or feel a thing.
    Tenkara Bum

I'd like to say that after seeing the preview video the thing which impressed me the most is the quality of the production. I have a view fly tying DVDs and video tapes (yes, tapes), and none of them match the quality of this DVD. I'm definitely getting one this month.

+ Reply to Thread