+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Banned from BB" under a name

Default "Banned from BB" under a name

What does that mean?

Bye-Bye! Means you no longer have posting privileges.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    What does that mean?
    As I understand it, it means that something this individual has written, either 1 spectacular time or over the course of time, was so out of line, obnosious or similar that the site administrator/moderator was moved to Ban that person from posting.

Of course this is just a guess on my part and I'll leave it to someone who actually knows to post the full/accurate explanation.

Allan

Allan, you are correct. In this case as I understand it, the person started a post which was clearly very political. There were a few replies to the post very quickly which also warned him this isn't the place for politics. The admin contacted the person..the results of which resulted in the Bann. Sometimes a person is given a 30 day Bann in hopes they will understand that kind of post is not allowed. I was consulted on this one and agreed with removing the offending post and the person who posted it if necessary.

I do not enjoy banning anyone. Normally, I first give a warning and politely inform them by e-mail, not PM as if I need to ban them the PM would not be usable by them. Most of the time our members send back a polite answer and thank me. Every now and then I get cussed out, or have them re-post, which says to me, to heck with you I will do what ever I want. The owner agrees with me that we do not need this sort of member. I do sometimes feel a short time out is the best way to go. A 30, 60 or 90 day has worked nicely. Sometimes I do run it past Deanna, sometimes I do not. Our rules are quite plainly stated. I do also pay attention to other members thoughts. If I get 2 or 3 complaints, I do look closer at how a post is going. We do try and keep this a family kind of BB. Also after all it is supposed to be about Fly Fishing and related topics, not a place for anyone to air out personal beliefs. I am sure there are other sites where they can do so, not on FAOL. I do always include my e-mail address and phone number, trying to have open communication.
    We are looking for an additional person to help out as Admin. If anyone is interested, please contact Deanna direct.
    If anyone has additional questions, feel free to contact me direct. denny@conranch.com or 509-999-7472

Denny

Hi All,

While I hate to see anyone get removed, even temporarily, I have seen bulletin boards where folks did get nasty and make nasty comments to each other. I have recieved a very few unkind shots, but only a very few over the years. I have seen others get some very nasty, and totally undeserved, comments over the years also.

On those ocassions, I simply decided not to reply with a comment in kind, thinking the best thing to do was to simply to let it go, hoping the post would simply die from a lack of a nasty reply.

Typically those comments are made by a very small number of folks.

Those types of comments tend to take away from the pleasure of reading the various types of comments and posts of advise that are so good to read on this site.

I think we ought to be able to have opinions that differ without getting nasty or making personal attacks on those who's experience differs, and as a result have differing opinions on various topics of fly fishing. The vast majority of those who post here are very friendly, and eager to give good advise, and I much appreciate that attitude and all of the advise I have received over the years.

Thus, to protect the family type atmosphere that is found here, I am in favor of temporarily banning folks who break the rules. Unfortunately, I suppose it is even necessary, on rare ocassions, to permanatly ban folks who try to make it unpleasant for the rest of us.

I myself made a post several years ago that I greatly regretted, made every effort to fix the error, and edit the post to be fairer. I felt I had to apologise for the comments I had made, so ate crow and apologised on a follow up note in the post. I was not banned or repremanded in any way, but to this day still regret the comments I made, even though several years have passed and I had edited the post and changed the comments I made. That post was made in, anger, dissapointment, haste, with no investigation of the true facts, and without thinking things over carefully.

My point is that, because of my own sorry experience, I know that even pretty mild mannored folks can make mistakes, and post things that they normally would not, and regret. The problem is the folks who make a habit of inappropriate posts.

Thus, for what ever it is worth, I support the rules and what folks are trying to do here. I also thank Ladyfisher, and monitors such as Denny and the others for what they do here. I know that they spent a lot of time to make this site what it is.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 08-04-2012 at 02:51 PM.

I will agree some sites get out of hand,I became a member of a site for h@r shotguns after buying a slug gun and wanted insite on upgrading the gun.I got comments on a Boyd's stock and put up the "pallet" plain wood stock on the for sale board.A lot of folks buy old h@R's with beat up stocks and gladly pay for new ones.The factory forearm has a plastic piece to fit the receiver and after someone said they would buy the stock I asked if I needed to keep the piece for the new stock.Boy did I get a lot of raw comments about me taking something from the sale and I only asked the question ESP since the piece was under five dollars.I have since contacted the admin of the site and politely asked to be removed from the site and thanked him for what input output I had...

+ Reply to Thread