+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: LEADERS AND TIPPETS - Eye of the Guide - Jul 30, 2012

Arrow For sure ...

... there are situations where a thread furled leader would probably be my last choice of leader. But I don't seek those situations out and seldom encounter them.

For example - trying to hit a spot 6" above where a trout has been regularly rising for naturals. For that situation, I would likely opt for a tapered mono leader or hand tied tapered mono leader, especially if there was any breeze.

There are so many variables in fly angling, that I think it is appropriate to qualify any given preference or position with some information about the situation one is referring to. And I try to remember, but don't always, to remind people that I only fish for nearsighted, colorblind, dumb, and starving fishies.

Also, thread furled leaders have some real disadvantages, and it is not surprising, nor discouraging, that a lot of folks that I give them to don't like them and don't use them after trying them out.

Now, about that gut thing ..........

John
    The fish are always right.

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

I wasn't speaking per se of furled leaders but rather of leaders in general. Thickness, be the leader furled, mono or FC, equates to more leader surface for the water to act or to drag upon. As for them being more flexible, it depends!
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

John...

What reduction factor do you furl to? If it is the more or less 'standard' 10%; go to 20% and see the difference it makes! I have a couple that I furled to at least 30%, just for grins, and they are as stiff as a brand new lariat!

Frank

+ Reply to Thread