+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LEADERS AND TIPPETS - Eye of the Guide - Jul 30, 2012

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default LEADERS AND TIPPETS - Eye of the Guide - Jul 30, 2012

LEADERS AND TIPPETS

Many fly fishers are going to read these words and be upset, because much of what I have to say goes against much of the writing and conventional wisdom of the day. I would just ask that you read, digest and consider the conclusion I will present. These methods, practices and understandings have stood me in good stead over an angling career that has spanned more than fifty years. These are also the methods I teach at fly fishing clinics and on guided fishing trips for the past thirty five years, and these practices have been proven to be effective time and time again. These methods did not spring full blown into being; they were developed over time and by learning from others, including those that I was instructing.

I finally gave up on most leaders. Since I use furled leader on mnost ofmy rods, I just put a few feet of mono on for the leader.
    Works for me and is much simplier.
    Thanks for the thought provoking article.

Rick

Very nice article. One thing I don't understand is your disdain of the nail knot for connecting your leader to the fly line. As far sliding through the guides, I've always thought that was the best knot. Loops connectors always seem to get hung up for me. Maybe it's because my nymphing leaders are too long?

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Very nice article. One thing I don't understand is your disdain of the nail knot for connecting your leader to the fly line. As far sliding through the guides, I've always thought that was the best knot. Loops connectors always seem to get hung up for me. Maybe it's because my nymphing leaders are too long?

I feel the same. Nail Knot is always been my choice as far as knots go, for smoothness. But, alas, I too have been furled leaders for a very long time and only knot is in the tippet. I did have a molded loop fray yesterday while trying to land a carp. Made for a difficult land and a bit scary when the leader wrapped around the tip as I tried to get the loop through the tip top. All worked out though

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    I feel the same. Nail Knot is always been my choice as far as knots go, for smoothness. But, alas, I too have been furled leaders for a very long time and only knot is in the tippet. I did have a molded loop fray yesterday while trying to land a carp. Made for a difficult land and a bit scary when the leader wrapped around the tip as I tried to get the loop through the tip top. All worked out though
    Hi Goddess! I used a furled leader all last year to nymph as an experiment. My catch rate was the same as with a regular tapered leader. Many people say that you miss and can't feel all the takes when using a furled leader. I disagree. What about you?
    Bruce

PS. If you think this post is approaching a hi-jack of the thread please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Hi Goddess! I used a furled leader all last year to nymph as an experiment. My catch rate was the same as with a regular tapered leader. Many people say that you miss and can't feel all the takes when using a furled leader. I disagree. What about you?
    Bruce

PS. If you think this post is approaching a hi-jack of the thread please PM me.

Ahhhhh that is why I caught 99 instead of 100...LOL I don't agree on the miss take.

+ Reply to Thread