One problem with needle knots is some line actually have a core. Silk comes tto mind, but it has been awhile. I put loops in all my fly lines that don't come with them by folding the line over, using a hair iron to melt them together, then use thread (same thread I use for tying and my furled leaders) to wrap around the two. I then coat with a thin layer of Knot Sense as it is flexable. I have also used the Zap-A-Gap needle no knot connection with store bought tapered leaders. NO knot what so ever and very strong...don't get any cleaner than that.

I do use 6X but I use #30 dries. Try fishing some waters (the Green) certain times of the year and they have to be small, which doesn't mean small fish. I have "landed" 24" with a #32 Snow Fly. I prefer dark colors for leader like Olives and Browns, whith Gray on cloudy days.

John, I have gone after the Gulpers at Hebgen and long leaders and great deal of stealth meaning 60' and longer delicate cast. I realize you don't typically stillwater fish, but you ever had a situation like this? If so, I would love to hear about it.

FG