+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fiberglass Fly Rod Blanks

Default Fiberglass Fly Rod Blanks

Anyone have a recommendation on where to buy fiberglass fly rod blanks? I'm looking for something with a budget in mind and would prefer spigot ferrule's.

check ebay , there has been a fella selling blanks on there periodicly, the guy who builds my rods, Graywolf, built up one of those blanks and gave it high marks. the blanks were very inexpensive
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Heinrich, Graywolf builds some simply stunning rods! I picked up my Lamiglas blank from Mudhole.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

There are some very inexpensive ultra light spinning rod blanks that folks have been turning into 4-5 weight fly rods. I think they are using the Batsion SPG720 and SPG780 blanks. I was able to purchase a blank for under $15. These are one piece blanks, you will have to cut them and install a ferrule. There are nice articles on how to build a spigot ferrule on the Fiberglass Flyrodders site. I was able to make the spigot ferrule using a cordless drill and a sanding block, took several tries to get one that fit well but not too challenging. Lots of fiberglass blanks on that site as well. http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/

Here is a nice how to article using the Batson Blank...
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...cast/rc457.php

What is your budget??

There are several out there. I've made those fly rods out of the Batson spinning blanks. Not a bad rod but you might want something longer. I use a 5 ft UL glass blank and it came out to about 3wt. I've used the 6'6" blank and it came out to a 6wt.

Now if you don't want to make your own spigot, wll the first come to mind is the Lami blank. Geat rod. There are some other guys out there that role their own and sell them and I could give you alist of those guy too but the cost is a little more. Maybe your budget can wiggle a little and get a hand rolled one.

Randy

If you can stretch your budget I would recommend Steffen Brothers.
    In my opinion, these are the best fiberglass blanks being built today in their price range.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Kettle Creek and South Fork offer very good quality and competitive priced glass blanks. I have owned a couple of rods built with SB blanks and they are also a joy.

Black Bear fly fishing sells an inexpensive 5 wt for under 50. It's not too bad. I use it to chase bass in the canals around here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread