+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limitations?

Default Limitations?

Have been waiting to "take the plunge" till I could get to a shop and "touch and feel" but saw a guy yesterday across from me using a Tenkara. Called out to him did he like it, and he said yes, but it really "has its limitations". Couldn't cross to talk to him directly, so thought I'd ask, what do you consider limitations for a Tenkara?

The only one I see is distance. If you want to make a long cast like over deep water you can't wade across or something but of course thats a given. I really don't see any other.

I'm not sure if this is a limitation or not as I haven't tried it, but believe it is a limitation. I love around some nice bigger bodies of water where people use alot of drift boats to fish the banks, and wading is limited. I am affraid my rod would break if I was in my pontoon or drift boat and hooked into one of the hogs in the river. I may be mistaken and correct my assumption if I am because that would be nice to know. Even if it is true that isn't a big limitation to me as I prefer to stay away from these areas as they are so over crowded, and part of the experience to me is getting away from all the high pace vigor in the world and connect with nature and myself. We actually had a fight at one of the local boat launchs between some guides and jet boaters about a week ago. As far as distance goes I have found ways to present and fish any hole on the water I am fishing so far. It does sometimes require a little imagination though, don't think limits think of different options. I carry several different line lenghts with me so I can change the length of my line in a matter of seconds.

Wet lines,
    Brandon

Lightbulb BIG limitations ...

... as in BIG water, BIG wind, BIG flies, and BIG fish**, alone or in combination.

If you accept a roughly 20-25' effective fishing radius from where you can position yourself -

If you can accept not effeciently and effectively fishing in more wind than a gentle breeze -

If you can accept fishing smaller, lighter flies and leaving the big hoppers and heavy stonefly nymphs in the box -

If you can accept losing fish to break offs of 5X tippet -

Tenkara is for you, maybe.

'cause there are also some little limitations. As in very little room in confined, low hanging foliage canopy situations, or little twisty creeks limiting casting angles, for example.

John

** It's not necessarily BIG fish, but strong fish in particular situations, like really heavy current, nasty instream cover, etc.
    The fish are always right.

Thanks, all, sounds like stuff I can live with. Now for the touchy feely part.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    ... Now for the touchy feely part.
    The touchy, feely part is what Tenkara is really all about, Karen.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 07-28-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    The fish are always right.

Limitations are good. They are what make sports fun. Imagine tennis with a net that is only one-foot high or golf with holes that are 24" wide instead of 4.25"
    Last edited by Paul Arnold; 07-29-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Limitations offer challenges, and challenges make it fun. When I'm having fun I can overlook some of the limitations. For me compromise is a better word than limitation when it comes to tenkara.

JD

Fun is what it's all about - sometimes to make it easier, and sometimes not.

I agree with every post on this thread.

+ Reply to Thread