+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Walk/wade fishing with 2 rods

Default Walk/wade fishing with 2 rods

Next week at this time I'll be in Alberta, fishing for cutthroats and bull trout. My dilemma is just that - I'll be fishing for cutthroats, where the average fish will be 13-14" and I'll be tossing dry flies, and I'll be fishing for bull trout, which can run up to 30" and where I'll be flinging big (as in, size 1), heavy streamers. So my 7 weight would be overkill for the cutts, but my five isn't going to cast those big weighted flies very well.

So, has anyone ever carried two rods on a walk/wade trip? I was thinking I could just lash my 7 weight to my backpack (unfortunately it's a 2-piece) and fish my five until I come to a very bull trouty looking hole (or if I get a bull to take a swipe at a cutthroat that I have on), and then switch to my 7 weight for that hole, then go back to my five. With my 7 weight only being a two piece though, it's not going to be particularly easy to carry around when I'm not using it. Anyone got any ideas?

I always put my rods into Dan Blanton's Rigged and Ready rod bags for transport, hiking, and on boat storage. I get these direct from Dan or from Sea Level Fly Fishing. The bag is designed to hold a fully rigged outfit. The bag has one D ring sewn on to allow it to be hung up. For walking and wading I have attached a second D ring and connected a strap to the rings. I then sling the extra rod across my back.

http://www.danblanton.com/RiggedReadybags.html

I have done it frequently and use a very simple approach (although it will limit your backcasting ability).
    Once you get to the edge of the water, take the extra rod and slide the reel end into the top of the back of your waders (between the shoulder straps) deep enough that it is snug. Tilt the rod to your off hand side until the rod touches the shoulder strap on that side. Voila. This works particularly well with neoprene waders but I have used it with Simms Lite as well. You have to remember, though, that you have this seven foot antella sticking over your shoulder and it loves getting caught in trees and such. Also, if your waders are really loose across the chest and back, this won't work as well.

I carry my rods fully rigged, but just disconnected in half instead of 4 pieces (you are ahead of the curve with a 2 piece), and either in rod bag or lately in a plastic mesh sleeve (used for dressing wiring harnesses, but big enough in diameter to stuff a fly rod in). No worries. The rod you are NOT using can be carried in any number of ways as others have suggested, or just placed in a bush or tree or something then picked up later. If theft is a problem then don't take two rods, or stay close. If you want the other rod, then just put the two pieces together and fish. Seems as if you are worried about over complicating a fairly simple thing....

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    I have done it frequently and use a very simple approach (although it will limit your backcasting ability).
    Once you get to the edge of the water, take the extra rod and slide the reel end into the top of the back of your waders (between the shoulder straps) deep enough that it is snug. Tilt the rod to your off hand side until the rod touches the shoulder strap on that side. Voila. This works particularly well with neoprene waders but I have used it with Simms Lite as well. You have to remember, though, that you have this seven foot antella sticking over your shoulder and it loves getting caught in trees and such. Also, if your waders are really loose across the chest and back, this won't work as well.

I do the same thing. You can use your wading belt to secure the rod, or snug up your waders.

Quote Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
    Next week at this time I'll be in Alberta, fishing for cutthroats and bull trout. My dilemma is just that - I'll be fishing for cutthroats, where the average fish will be 13-14" and I'll be tossing dry flies, and I'll be fishing for bull trout, which can run up to 30" and where I'll be flinging big (as in, size 1), heavy streamers. So my 7 weight would be overkill for the cutts, but my five isn't going to cast those big weighted flies very well.

So, has anyone ever carried two rods on a walk/wade trip? I was thinking I could just lash my 7 weight to my backpack (unfortunately it's a 2-piece) and fish my five until I come to a very bull trouty looking hole (or if I get a bull to take a swipe at a cutthroat that I have on), and then switch to my 7 weight for that hole, then go back to my five. With my 7 weight only being a two piece though, it's not going to be particularly easy to carry around when I'm not using it. Anyone got any ideas?
    Why you dont just make yourself a rod quiver like they use for arrows back in the day. Piece of PVC pipe say inch and a half, piece of nylon cord quarter inch or so about 5 ft. long, end cap for pipe, and a nice heavy medium size rubber band. Top of the pipe cut a notch half to three quarter inch wide and about two inches deep down the side of the tube. This is to catch the reel foot when you slide the rod into the tube. Below the notch about a half inch drill two holes 3/16 or 1/4" bit is good, inline with the notch. These will be used for the rubber band. While yo got the drill in your hand drill two more holes on the other side of the pipe from the notch at two at the top and two at the bottom (above were the end cap will sit). Theses will be used for the cord. Now before you say DUH or why do I need two holes for the cord, it so you can adjust the cord to fit your needs and it keeps the knots on the outside of the tube. Whoops almost forgot the rubber band, string it thru the two holes at the top below the notch. In one hole out the other and then back thru the rubber band. Now after you sand the edges of the notch drop your rod with the reel installed down the tube reel in the notch and stretch the rubber band over the reel. Sling it over your shoulder and check for proper fit and comfort. I know I didn't mention cutting the tube to length. Give me a break I'm eating left overs while I type this. Is it just me or does spaghetti sauce always taste better the second day.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Patrick -

I just want to express my condolences that you have to go to Alberta next week to fish. Tough duty, but I am confident that you are up to it.

Looking forward to your fishing report when you return.

Have fun, and watch out for the grizzlies. Don't let that second rod get in the way of the bear spray.

John
    The fish are always right.

Personally, I'd just take the rod I wanted to use most and be happy with the experience. Carrying two rigged rods while on the stream and trying to change between them just sounds like a pain to me. How likely is it you'll need to switch quickly??

Guess I'm just a lazy fishing bum.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

I guess I would go with just the 7 weight. One rod is hard enough to control along a small stream, two can be a nightmare. I know. I have tried it. You will still have fun with the smaller cutties but when you manage to tag into a Bull, you will be prepared for a good fight.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I often go with 2 rigs when I'm fishing, a 3 wt and a 6 wt. For me, I typically carry them both and set the other rod against a tree. For me, my rigs are normally dry rig on the 3wt and a nymph rig on the 6wt.

If I'm on a trip under a mile, I just carry the 2 rods rigged up normally. The rod not being used is leaned against a tree normally.

On my longer trips, I rig up my rods, but keep them in a rod case and attach the rod cases to my back pack, that also carries my lunch, water reservoir, rain gear, and depending on the length of the hike, may carry my wading gear (Depending on where I'm going).

During these longer trips, once I reach my fishing destination I'll typically get them both set up, if I plan on using them both. But most times, I only rig up one rod in these cases, as it's pretty clear to see which rod I need once I reach the water.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

+ Reply to Thread