+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of us with bad backs

Hybrid View

Default For those of us with bad backs

As the aleve wears off from my last trip, I have come to the realization that a loaded vest is not the best set up for my back.
    Does anyone have any recommendations, I am not into the chest pack since I feel like too much in front of me is hard to handle. What about a fanny/"lumbar" pack with a lanyard. Also, I see rosenbauer in the latest orvis book is pushing the "sling pack"
    My criteria is something that holds a good amount of gear (including the essential cigars, drinks and sandwich), is convenient, does not cost a ton and most importantly, is friendsly to my back.

A friend of mine uses a sling pack and loves it. He carries most of what you mentioned.

I don't carry enough gear to worry about it; lanyard with nippers and a hook file, one fly box, leader spool, tip wallet, small roll of tp. No need for a vest or a pack.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I bought a couple of those backpacks the kiddies wear to school. They are vey light and have a lot of pockets. They work for me if I want to take more than I can get in my pants pockets. You can usually pick up a used one for 2 or 3 bucks so you are not out much if that don't work for you.

Tim
    Last edited by Panman; 07-27-2012 at 01:11 AM.

NewTyer 1 Guest

During the last PHW event I went to, they gave us the new Orvis digicam sling pack and I love it. I don't know if I would have spent the money on it but, it is awesome. It has plenty of room for extra spool, flies and slots for your cigars. It came with nippers and hemostats. Along with that, I use a lanyard and I like that also. It is the Orvis one and I also bought the little fly box that goes on it. The box will hold a select bunch of flies and other tools. The thing about wearing these items is that it allows you to scale down on the amount of gear you carry which helps with my back. Most of the time, unless I am bringing snacks, I will wear a camelback and just wear the laynard.

If I am not in my tube, a fishing shirt with two or three big pockets, my lanyard and there are usually enough flies on the patch on my hat to last the day. I have a PFD (inflatable type) which has 4 big pockets I wear when wading in the Hooch.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Default suggestion

please don't think i am crazy for suggesting this. But, i would suggest you look at the back-friendly lady's shoulder purses that are tear dropped shaped ? my wife has a bad back, and she has one of the tear drop purses and swears by it.

Go to Cabela's and buy the biggest fanny pack you can buy in the hunting section. I've had the same one for 10 years now.

About the only thing I can't put in it (on top of everything else) is a rain jacket. If I think it might rain, I'll put on the old vest and put my jacket in the back pouch.

I do like the look of those sling packs but wonder about the effect on my back (which sucks as well). Also, is there a place for a water bottle?

I use a "fanny pack" almost all of the time. I have a couple of sizes, but the most use is a smaller one with a water bottle I bought cheap from Sports Authority. That and the pockets in my shirt give me all the storage I need. The only problem with "fanny packs" is dunking them when you are wading in deeper water. Seems to me sling packs would not help you back, but I've never used one.

Another option would be a light back/chest pack combination like the Orvis Tri Pack or Wm. Joseph Exodus Pack. This would help balance the load front to back and give you plenty of storage.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

What Steven said. As a long time back sufferer I went to a large fanny pack (about the size of a volleyball) over 10 years ago. The pack works to carry more than anything you'd need on the water and the waist strap will actually double as a wading belt and back support. Cool.

MeCluster.jpg
    I have been using the Fishpond Blue River pack for the past 3 seasons now and love it. My vest just seemed to get too hot andheavy for me, and I too hate the chest packs. I carry the Blue River as a side/satchel style and it's comfortable rest for my line arm as well. You can push it back or bring it around front with a simple motion just like a sling pack. Also, it fits nicely over heavy gear in the winter with minimal adjustment of the waist strap.

+ Reply to Thread