+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wader boot studs

Default wader boot studs

the studs in my felt bottomed wading boots need to be replaced

would appreciate users' input please on simms hard bites, orvis posi grip studs, and any other brands you find particularly effective? the rocks in my home waters are slicker than greased bowling balls, and I don't like taking too many tumbles.

thanks in advance.

garthman

garthman,

I put some Simms Hardbites on my boots (Vibram soles) and they work fine. I've heard that studs motorcycle riders use for ice riding/racing work well, too, and they're a lot cheaper than the Simms.

Regards,
    Scott

the studs they put on motorcycle tires for ice racing are better and cheaper

http://www.mfgsupply.com/atv/atvstuds.html

1/4 x 1/4 sheet metal screws, been using them since the 70's. cheap and easy to use. they wont stick in sole so much where you can feel them..
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

I have always thought the price of the studs they put in wading boots were way over priced. I ran across an article tonight from someone with a similar thought train. Now I will admit I don't do that much wading, I'm more into barrel rolls in float tubes, so I'm not speaking from experience here.

http://www.hatchmag.com/blog/tip-sto...t-studs/771153

Just in case you missed the link in the article: https://koldkutter.com/catalog/products.php
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Yup! Can't go wrong with the koldkutter studs. Works every time. I personally use the 5/8" length. goes into the sole of the boot a little and have had zeor problems.

Stainless sheet metal screws from Ace, Lowes, or Home Depot. Been using them for over 10 years with periodic replacements..

Quote Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
    1/4 x 1/4 sheet metal screws, been using them since the 70's. cheap and easy to use. they wont stick in sole so much where you can feel them..
    I tried sheetmetal screws once. They wear out to fast. The carbide ones last a lot longer.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

would depend on the sheet metal screw? I can get a year out of the stainless. Granted, the Simms I got two, but they were A LOT more money.

Default studs

Quote Originally Posted by garthman View Post
    the studs in my felt bottomed wading boots need to be replaced

would appreciate users' input please on simms hard bites, orvis posi grip studs, and any other brands you find particularly effective? the rocks in my home waters are slicker than greased bowling balls, and I don't like taking too many tumbles.

thanks in advance.

garthman
    I've been using Orvis studs for the last 2 yrs, they work just fine for rivers here in California. They are holding up very well so I've not yet had to price new ones. Don't think I'd let price dictate over my safety.

+ Reply to Thread