+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dogs

My heartfelt condolences to you and yours brother! My dogs are companion dogs mostly but serve as an intricate alarm system for anything out of order (in their K-9 minds). The 'need' aspect is clearly mutual! There are many out their that are under-appreciated at best, and unwanted at worst. When you and your family are ready, perhaps consider rescuing a dog from a breed that suits your Families needs and desires. The shelters are full of breeds like Pitbull and X's that will be among the first to be put down. Wantabee Gang Banger youth culture is driving this trend, and fosters much irresponsible breeding of the bulls. I hate seeing a potential loving dog and family protector needlessly killed. Sorry for the appeal during your time of grief. I hope you find, should you decide to look, for a dog that fills that "need" void in your heart!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

That time is coming with my lab who turns 17 in Aug. The back legs and hips are going and while she's not in pain now it's hard for her. Since my grand daughter got here 2 weeks ago you'd think she was 2 years old. She own's us we don't own her - it took 2 1/2 yrs. of TLC to get her totally trusting after the people who had her beat the crap out of her. It's going to hurt like hell, but the way the back leg keeps giving out it's almost time. I won't do it while my grand daughter is here but after she leaves - it will be time, she just won't be able to handle another winter.

I feel for any one who has to go through it, I know folks say don't stay while they get the shot but I don't care how bad I'm crying I'll be right there holding her because she deserves it from all the happiness she's brought us.

Fatman,

Obviously, I've been where you're gouing. With my 'Bear' I felt I could not stay and I didn't. I've regretted that decision since. Stayed with 'Deezel' and, although it hurt terribly, I don't regret staying at all.
    Good luck to you and your dog when the time comes.

Allan

Good on you Fatman,
    DO stay. Like Allan, I regret the ones I left and, no matter how hard it is, I feel much more completion and " deserved loyalty done" by staying with Dinah at the end.
    Allan,
    I am still waiting, but another "partner" will find me when the time is right. You too. Until then, Susan's pair keep us occupied.
    Still can't read dog posts w/o puddling and it's been 5 years since Dinah. Rainbow bridge is gonna be a danged busy place!
    .....lee s.

Quote Originally Posted by lee s View Post
    Still can't read dog posts w/o puddling and it's been 5 years since Dinah. Rainbow bridge is gonna be a danged busy place!
    .....lee s.
    Yeah lee and I'm tearing up right now. Thanks, lol. Good tears.

Allan

We were owned by Max, a black lab mix for 15 1/2 yrs. near the end he was deaf, & mostly blind but still a bundle of love. When he had a stroke & I had to put him down it was one of the most trying experiences of my life & I'll admit I cried like a baby. I swore that I'd never get another dog. That lasted about 2 weeks & I started checking out adoption sites. I found a Bloodhound puppy about 200mi away & went up to get him. He's owned me for about 14 months now & he definitely has filled the hole in my heart. But Rufus is a Bloodhound & over 80 lbs at 16 months. Going from a calm footwarmer type of old dog to this bundle of energy & deviousness ( he can open the fridge, cabinets, fly tying material bins, any type of garbage can, & lever door knobs. I,m 66 & this guy has got me taking 5 mile hikes again just to tire him out. guess who tires first. I'm really not complaining just mentioning that if you get, I mean when you get, another dog plan ahead. Rufus & me are joining a SAR team & We're training him for it & he really shows promise & determination. When I retired I took it easy for a while & got out of the exercise habit but now it's daily hikes & exercise so I think he was the best thing for me.
    Just plan what breed you want to get.

Neil

Blog Entries

Recently it was reported that dogs were domesticated about 40-50,000 years ago rather than the 10,000 years ago that was formally thought. They have been found buried with the remains of early homo-sapiens, but not with neanderthals, leading to the supposition that they were another reason why the homo-sapiens out competed the neanderthals while hunting with dogs for assistance. My point being that we are basically hard wired to coexist with dogs, so why fight it? The only question after all this time is: Did they domesticate them, or did they domesticate us? Think about it, who is the winner in these relationships? Who's needs are met?
    If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they go."

Will Rogers

I have decided that Miss Lady will come with me to this years Idaho fish in. She will turn 14 while there, celebrating a birthday with Jack Hise. I will watch where I wade, knowing she will follow my steps, I will walk slow so she may not get lost.

She has been the best dog in the world for a long time, quite a load to carry, she has never been surpassed.
    If you make it Lowell, stop by my campfire. You'll meet Miss Lady Bug, she has been to more Idaho Fish Ins then most!

Blog Entries

Steve,

Lady is a great friend, 14? Wow, she is doing well for her age.

Your quote: "She has been the best dog in the world for a long time, quite a load to carry, she has never been surpassed."

Yes, she has had quite a load to carry taking care of you, but then you are also worth it in Lady's eyes.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

It's tough to lose those furry kids, but I wouldn't think of living without a few of them around. We had to have both of our female shelties put down a little over a year ago. We still have the three males and got a border collie puppy shortly after the girls left us. Two of the male shelties are getting old, so I know I will have to go through it again, but the joy that they bring is worth the sadness and tears that I know are coming.
    Sorry for your loss, Alan. I know that it's a cliche, but I really do feel your pain.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread