+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs

Hybrid View

Default Dogs

Hi Guys,

Just about 4 weeks ago I had to put my 'Bear' (Lab/Rotty mix) to sleep and yesterday had to do the same for my 13 year old Rotty. So, it's with a heavy heart that I ask this question to those of you who are 'dog people'.
    Do we simply want a dog(s) or do we 'need' them (functionally, comraderie, emotionally, etc) as much as they need us?
    Personally, I am quickly finding that I need to have a dog.

Allan

Hi Allan,
    3 1/2 years ago we had to put our Springer Spaniel down. 2 1/2 years ago we had to put our Miniature Schnauzer down. I swore I would never have anymore dogs, it hurt so bad. That lasted a couple of months and we got 2 puppies of mixed breed. Australian Shepherd and Cairn Terrier mix. In answer to your question; We need them. They fill an empty hole in our lives. They have since torn up our back deck, eaten our lawn furniture and left holes in our gardens and yard. We couldn't be happier that we got them.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Allan, RW here

So sorry to hear about Bear. i remember some good times with him. Like a couple of fish-ins where he ate more than anyone that attended. Then there was the Danbury Show where he stayed in the hotel room with us. {Am I remembering that right?} I also remember another Danbury show when he sat nicely behind the tying tables with us until some guy tried to get behind the table (and then behind you) to watch you tie a fly. Bear showed his teeth right to the gumline. Also Slic's little mishap when everyone told him don't stick your hand in the car window and Slic said "Hey! dogs love me". Yeah, Right? R.I.P Bear.

rw
    Last edited by Royal Wulff; 07-24-2012 at 05:50 PM.
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

I think you might as well start looking for another dog. I waited six months after my last dog died since I wanted a puppy but not to try housebreaking in mid winter. They were some very lonely nights.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

It's been only a few weeks since we put Penny down and I never realized that every time I walked in the door she was there and I greeted her with "Hello Small Dog!". Now I walk in, inhale to speak, then remember there is no small dog there. I don't know that I need a dog so much as I enjoy having a dog. For now, we are content to live in a dog-rich neighborhood and to scratch the ears of the neighbors dogs.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

My dogs go with us on vacation - all 4. The ones who wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge are never far from my mind. Each one brought something to me and I am a better person. Our latest dog is an Australian Shepherd who we got when she was 2.5. She was going to a breeder, this is a great person, not a garage breeder. For various reasons she needed a new home. We bonded immediately and we took her home that day. She is different from our others, is her own dog and I would not give up the pain I feel at their passing to miss out on their love and devotion. I believe they need us and we need them. I can't imagine life without them.
    Find another to share your life, you'll both be better for it.
    Mike, along with Marje, Zoey, Coady and Caolan

I have a Border Collie that is 16 years old and I know a tough decision is coming. Currently she is still mobile and even has times where she thinks she is a puppy again. I also have a Newfoundland that turned 8 this year and I realized he also getting up in the years for a big dog. The Border helped us raise our kids and currently is helping with the grandkids although she has turned a lot of that over to the newf. Both of these dogs have been a major part of our lives, our children's lives and our grandchildred's lives. I know we are the better for having them around. When the time comes I will have another dog. Perhaps another newf. They are such wonderful animals. I doubt I would get another Border. Not that there is anything wrong with Border Collies. It is I am also getting older and Borders need activity or they will drive you crazy. The one we have now was the perfect dog for three kids that loved the outdoors. But without the kids I don't think I can give one enough attention. Newfs on the other hand will just as soon lay around as do anything but are always willing to go for a walk or a swim. I am lucky that I have 1 1/2 fenced acres that a dog can run free in. It would be ashame to not have one around.

Sorry to hear of your lose. When you are ready get another dog.......or two.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

We had to have our Molly put to sleep the end of June. She was 12 1/2 and we got her when she was a year old. My heart still aches and tears come and go. We weren't looking for a dog when we got her but she was a joy and blessing. We are in no hurry to get another dog, but then........
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Sorry, double post. Thought it didn't work the first time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bobbyg; 07-24-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    I have a Border Collie that is 16 years old and I know a tough decision is coming. Currently she is still mobile and even has times where she thinks she is a puppy again. <snip>

Sorry to hear of your lose. When you are ready get another dog.......or two.

Kerry, do me a favor and kiss that sweet old border collie for me. We used to have a collie.

Thanks,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread