We were owned by Max, a black lab mix for 15 1/2 yrs. near the end he was deaf, & mostly blind but still a bundle of love. When he had a stroke & I had to put him down it was one of the most trying experiences of my life & I'll admit I cried like a baby. I swore that I'd never get another dog. That lasted about 2 weeks & I started checking out adoption sites. I found a Bloodhound puppy about 200mi away & went up to get him. He's owned me for about 14 months now & he definitely has filled the hole in my heart. But Rufus is a Bloodhound & over 80 lbs at 16 months. Going from a calm footwarmer type of old dog to this bundle of energy & deviousness ( he can open the fridge, cabinets, fly tying material bins, any type of garbage can, & lever door knobs. I,m 66 & this guy has got me taking 5 mile hikes again just to tire him out. guess who tires first. I'm really not complaining just mentioning that if you get, I mean when you get, another dog plan ahead. Rufus & me are joining a SAR team & We're training him for it & he really shows promise & determination. When I retired I took it easy for a while & got out of the exercise habit but now it's daily hikes & exercise so I think he was the best thing for me.
Just plan what breed you want to get.

Neil