Thread: Earliest Reference

Threaded View

Allan, RW again

Try Ernest Schwiebert's "Matching the Hatch", first published in 1955. He gives detailed recipes for 48 Eastern mayflies, male and female, particularly those that are prolific on Catskill streams like the Beaverkill, Wilowemoc, Neverskink, Esopus and northern Pennsylvania streams like Brodhead Creek. These recipes include wing length, tail length and body length to the eighth and sixteenth of an inch; plus colors and shades of material. Color Plates are included. Pages run from 25 to 98. If there is anything similar out there I've never seen it and you know what kind of library I have. Hell, I even bought a couple of books from you back in the day,. This book was where the term "matching the hatch" originated. Everything is subjective, of course, But I'll bet many authors and fishing writers since 1955 used Schwiebert's book for reference when writing their own books. I mean, why do the research when he aready did it and layed it out in such a clear and concise way. I think it answers your question completely.

Hope to see you soon, RW
    Last edited by Royal Wulff; 07-24-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>