+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend wader belt

Default Recommend wader belt

I am truly frustrated, I have a pair of Simms Gore-Tex waders and one of their nylon wader belts. Nylon is slick as is the exterior of the waders. I have a big belly and small hips - get the picture. The belt keeps sliding down, surely someone makes a belt that has some kind of a tacky back that would help it stay in place better. Any recommendations?

Dan

Dear ozark,

As one who also suffers from Dunlap's disease* I can understand your plight.

I have a wading belt from Simms that is similar in style to a weightlifting support belt. It is about 1 inch in width in the front and has a 4 inch high back support pad.

I think it's great. The back pad really helps support your back on a long day of fishing. It slides a little bit, but it is easy to hike it back up. It is a vast improvement over a convential wading belt.

Try one, I'll bet you like it.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

* Dunlap's disease - a curious medical affliction where one's stomach dun laps over their belt.

I believe Dunlap's Disease to be closely related to BoobZag's Syndrome which I've heard afflicts older women.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

you got it ooooohhh so right Diane, my wife and I can testifie to both.

By the way, she is a teacher also.
    ------------------
    Wyo-blizzard

[This message has been edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff (edited 06 February 2005).]
    Wyo-Blizzard

I have thought about the simms belt with the back support and I think it is a good idea but it looks like they could apply a thin coating of something to keep it in place. As to the Velcro idea, I wonder if you could use the stuff they give you to patch waders to adhere some Velcro to the waders say on each side then do the same to the belt? We're rollin now keep the ideas coming and maybe us sufferers from Dunlap's could find a cure from waderbeltsaround ankles syndrome!

For REAL confort, you could also look into a leather belt from a good motorcycle shop.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    Christopher Chin

You are really needing to wear two wading belts. The SIMMS safety video (free) shows why and how. I wear two belts. The back supporting type around the belt line, and the usual narrow belt right at the top of the wader.

Just wanted to put that out there.

Rich

#2 son politely refers to this as my "Milwaukee Tumor".

I switched to a plain nylon adjustable belt with a quick release buckle. bought mine from REI, but I think you can get them lots of places. If you have the belt in the right place vertically, it won't slide down.

I thought for a long time before posting this possibility, but, how about suspendors to hold the wading belt where you want it?!

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I wear the wading belt just under the gut, kinda like you'd wear a pair of jeans that used to come all the way up to the waist. Works for me....

Jim A

------------------
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that
    it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

+ Reply to Thread