+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I Need a new vise

Hybrid View

Default I Need a new vise

I will soon be back in the US and would like to invest in a top shelf vise, anyone have suggestions?

I have a Rinzetti Traveller. It is a rotary model with a solid base. My only complaint is the jaws seem to slip on very small flies. They "fly" (literally) across the room and at that size they are never seen again. If you are tying 20 and above its great. I have tied up to 2/0 without problem. (May be why 26 and 28 size hooks go sailing.) Safe return.

AlanB Guest

To me it is a very personal choice, at the top end there isn't much difference in quality. What I mean is that you are paying for top end engineering, and, mostly, you'll get it. The best thing to do is make a list of your requirements. Decide how much you want to spend, and use those as a filter. Once you have done all that if you can try tying on each vice left in your short list. This may not be easy but one will stand out as giving you the most. The things to consider are:
    Rotary or fixed?
    True rotary? (Can be set so the hook shank rotates around the center of the shank) Mostly used in tying larger flies (Salt water and pike)
    Fixed tying position or mobile?
    Traveling?
    Hook clamping method. Some vices use a collett which force the jaws closed by a cam. Others use two plates forced apart with a pivot operated with either a cam or screw. Spring jaws that are normally closed and open with a lever to place the hook. An unusual method, but some like it, is a hook or loop which pulls the hook into a grove.
    Ascetics, you'll spend a lot of time looking at it.
    Clamp or pedestal? Consider your tying position. My tying position will not permit the use of a pedestal.
    There may be other considerations, that's a start.

When I bought my first top end vice I was amazed how much difference it made. Tying became much more comfortable. Now I can sit for long periods tying without strain. Also I can cope with just about any tying job I may need to.

The lack of any recommendation of any vice is deliberate. I haven't tied on all the available vices so can't say one is better than another. You are not looking for the "best vice", but the best vice for you. Good luck with your search.

I hope you have a swift and safe return home.
    Cheers,
    A.

I suggest you try out as many different brands and choose the one that will fit you. There are many great vises out and if you stick to the ones that have a good following and no cheap knockoff or plastic then you be good to go. I personally like my HMH Standard so much that is easily my favorite to tie on.

My vote still goes to the Peak rotory vise. Built like a tank and hard to beat for the price. The only other vise I have bought recently is the Anvil. Very well built and perfect for smaller flies but still for all around use and function , price and quality of construction I still like the the Peak the best. Just my two cents.

I purchased a Renzetti 2000 within the past year. Tied lots of flies on it...really like it.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I have two. A Regal C-clamp and a HMH Standard with both the pedestal and c-clamp. The HMH is nice and can be used as a rotary when needed. But I prefer the Regal for it's simplicity. Have tried selling the HMH and it is still for sale.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread