+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Need a new vise

I've got a Renzetti Traveler, great vise for the money. I started off with a cheapo vise, they get the job done but they suck. Since you've been deployed for a while and have some extra cash that you're looking to spend on this, look at the Traveler as the starting point and go from there. Personally I don't need a higher-end vise than what I have, it does everything I need it to...that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have the "Special Edition Master Vise", but I can't justify spending that much on something I don't need.

I've had the good fortune to own and tie on three good quality vises. I started with the Regal Clamp vise and while it was a very solid vise and held the hooks very well, it wasn't very good for rotary tying which I wanted to try. I switched to the Dynaking Baracuda and while it was also a high quality vise, it was a pain to use it in true rotary fashion. Then, I switched to a Nor-Vise, and I stopped looking. Top quality vise that makes tying much easier and faster for me. Holds a wide variety of hooks well and is very versatile. I didn't have any difficulties at all making the transition and I love the Nor-Vise system. Bottom line, I would never switch back to any of the other vises. To top it off when you buy a Nor-Vise you get outstanding and personal service from Norm Norlander.

As others correctly stated, selecting the "best" fly tying vise is an individual choice based on personal preferences. That being said, you have some excellent recommendations here in this thread and if at all possible, you should at least put your hands on each of your top three candidates and give them a whirl before making your final selection..

Jim Smith

Jim,

How long have you been using the Nor-Vise? How about sizes 18-24, how is it for the little guys?

I've been using my Nor-Vise for the past 11 years and I have never experienced any problems with hook size. That being said, I usually don't tie much smaller than size 16 flies so I don't have too much experience with the really small hooks on my Nor-Vise. There is a special jaw set available from Nor-Vise that is designed specifically for the really small hooks. If that is what you usually tie, I would suggest that you contact Norm Norlander and ask him how much the vise would be with just the small jaws. You also want to use the Nor-Vise bobbins as they are so much easier to use than traditional bobbins (IMHO). The only disadvantage to the bobbins is that you have to re-spool your thread onto the aluminum bobbin spool, but that only takes a few moments with the chuck provided in the kit and an electric drill and a spool lasts me quite a while. I have five bobbins and probably 25 extra spools already spooled with the different size/color of threads I use. The Nor-vice really is a great system. If you want to know how people feel about them, try finding a used one for sale.

Jim Smith

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I wouldn't take any amount of money for my Montana Mongoose. I can't imagine a better vise.

I have bought the Nor-Vise, and to me it was the best $ spent. It has some amazing features that you can do with it.

Well I have a Nor-vise, a Renzetti Saltwater Traveler and I have a Peak ( I sell Peak actually) and I tie on my Nor-vise. I like it a lot and Norm is a great guy. I may have most options they make, not sure since every once in a while he adds something lest, but I do have the normal Jaw as well as the larger one and the Fine Point and the Tube Fly Conversion as well. I do change it up a little, but mostly use the normal straight jaw, but I use the large Jaw Counterweight so it spins easier as I didn't care for the counter weight that has the little arm that stands out from it. The little arm keeps coming out for me so I just started using the heavier one from the large jaw on the regular one. I hardly ever tie on any of my other vises and they are both pretty new as I think the Renzetti was only 1 year old when I got the Nor and the Peak came later. SO Love the Nor, but as some have said a vise is a personal decision type thing.

Good Luck,

Skip

Blog Entries

I have been tying on the Nor-Vise for well over a year and my son has had his for a couple years longer. We have a lot of different top-end vises in the house and the Nor-Vises get far more work than any other. My wife still ties on her Traveler but she does little true rotary tying. We all do a large amount of tying.

There is nothing you can do on any other vise the Nor-Vise will not do as well. There are few vises that come close to the options and functionality of the Nor-Vise.

A big kicker for me is the support Norm gives Project Healing Waters and the Alaska Fly Fishers. I am pretty certain he gives a fancy discount to military folks.
    art

I will strogly encourage you to get a Renzetti Traveler. I belong to a group of amateur tiers and see all types of vises and note many pluses and minuses of each. An interesting thing to remember when reading the comments from vise owners is that they all will always give a big "plus" to the model they use. This is like asking a guy how he likes the car he just bought. My second choice would be a Peak. But again, remember I have both.

10. Default

I recomend drinking, smoking & if you're still able chase some wild women. If you're in the service you probably already know about those vices. All that from over 20 yrs experience.

Seriously, when you do go shopping, be strong. Don't cave to the first fast talking fly shop opperator. Make 'em show you a few & explain their merits & short commings. First one should be inexpensive. After you use it a while remember what you like & don't like about it & use that info when you get the next one. Think portabillity & stabillity.

+ Reply to Thread