+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Embarrassing Beginner's Question - Fishing In The Rain

Hybrid View

Default Embarrassing Beginner's Question - Fishing In The Rain

Sorry for the litany of basic questions recently (I've fished for a while but for a variety of reasons, I am trying to focus a lot more on the sport). Hopefully soon I will be more of a contributor and less of an asker.
    Anyway, I have a scheduled trip for tomorrow morning at a local spring creek here in NY and the weather is reporting steady rain.
    I am assuming that fish still eat in the rain and can be caught on a fly. My question is how does your strategy change when fishing in the morning rain?
    For purposes of this question I am fishing a small spring-fed creek in south-eastern NY (name of river is the Nissequoge) with fairly normal hatches/bug life for the area.

Don't think the fish will mind .... they're already wet. Just GET OUT if there is even the slightest sound of thunder or flash of lightning!

You'll hear from others, but I would use my "regular" flies.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Because when it rains here in the summer it typically comes with lightning I leave, but I would think if there are trees along the banks a drowned ant pattern might become a better pattern, along with inch worms and bettles. A little wind might improve the effectiveness of grasshopper patterns. More than a foot under the water I doubt anyone much notices the rain other than a loss of light.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Rawfish, you are giving folks here great pleasure by asking questions!

In my experience, fishing in the rain is very productive. The fish tend to become less spooky. If I'm fishing on top this time of year, I like to use terresatrials big enough for them to see. If I'm nymphing, it is business as usual.

I like to have a towel and a dry sweatshirt waiting in my car for the end of the day --along with the ritual cold beer.

Thanks all, now the only remaining question is how to light my cigar in the rain

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish View Post
    Thanks all, now the only remaining question is how to light my cigar in the rain
    Switch to a pipe and turn it upside down.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Unless there is lightning involved, it isn't a question of whether or not go go but rather a question of what to wear. I'm not sure if fish are more or less apt to take the fly in the rain but I know there are fewer people out whipping up the water. The increased disturbance in the surface has to make us less visible (at least the part of us above the water). I personally go with wet flies and nymphs in the rain on the unsubstantiated idea that a dry fly on the surface in the rain is less visible due to the chaotic surface disturbance the rain creates.

At any rate, I know I've caught fish in the rain, so it's always worth going. Watch for rising water if the rains get heavy at times.

And a very broad brimmed hat can help with that cigar.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Because when it rains here in the summer it typically comes with lightning I leave, but I would think if there are trees along the banks a drowned ant pattern might become a better pattern, along with inch worms and bettles. A little wind might improve the effectiveness of grasshopper patterns. More than a foot under the water I doubt anyone much notices the rain other than a loss of light.
    +1 with Jesse.

Beetle downstream from overhanging trees or a floating beetle with a sunken ant.

Also agree that a rain makes surface flies much easier to fish. I took a beginner to fish a difficult river. It was raining and the fish were push overs. They seemed oblivious to sloppy casting and drag. He didn't know how fortunate he was that it was raining.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Fishing in the rain can be dynamite! Lightning and thunder, get out fast.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Don't know much about fishing in NY but up here in NW WA if you don't fish in the rain you won't fish much. I usually go sub-surface when its raining which is almost all the time.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

+ Reply to Thread