+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is a Tenkara Rod

Hybrid View

Default What is a Tenkara Rod

I read TUSA blog post What is a Tenkara Rod and I find some of there points do not determine if it is or is not a tenkara rod. The part in red is from Daniel blog post Then my response follows that. I am not affiliated with any rod maker or seller. I am giving my opinion on the matter.

With the first goal in mind ? being comfortably cast all day ? the main apparent and quickly distinguishable feature of a tenkara rod is the presence of a handle (cork is the more common material used for its thermal properties and right degree of softness). The handle is very necessary for tenkara fishing, not so necessary for other types of fishing in which the goal is to cast the bait once and wait.

The presense of a cork handle has little to do with what type of rod you have. Rod building continues to evelo just as the way the blank material has evoled over the years. Tenkara rods used to be made of bambo and most are now made out of carbon and/or fiber glass. If you could afford to have one built out of split bambo the handle would be made from bambo or wrapped rattan.

The right diameter and the right shape of the rod handle will keep the hand from getting fatigued. The right materials will keep the hand from chaffing or sweating.

Every person does not have the same size hand. This is why there are differnet size and shape of grips for rod builders to choose from when custom building a rod for someone. They are also using carbon fiber with a foam core for grips, along with wood, Acrylic, and even EVA foam for grips.

He said:

A second, and less obvious feature to notice, is the casting effectiveness of the rod. More specifically, the dampening of the rod tip after the rod is cast (or shaken). Tenkara rods are designed to cast a very light line forward with maximum effectiveness. A poorly designed tenkara rod, or a rod that was not designed with casting in mind and the rod tip may continue oscillating after the line is cast forward.

Then he said:

Note: any rod will oscillate after being cast, to improve our rods we design them with the goal of reducing that oscillation, the Ito is a perfect example of a very good dampening effect and I design all our rods with this in mind.

All rods will very when it comes to this asspect. That is why there are different rod classification like 5:5, 6:4, 7:3, 8:2. This also is a downfall since like regular rods, each rod maker decides what class there rod falls in. What one calls a 6:4 another might call a 5:5.

A third feature that makes a tenkara rod a tenkara rod is the length. Tenkara rods range from slightly under 10ft to just about 15ft, with 12ft being the average length. On the shorter end of the spectrum, the tenkara rod will still allow for good reach while staying away from canopy.

If this is the case you then also sell an add handle add on that makes a 9?3? that you market as being tenkara. Granted you may not be able to go too far past 15ft but you could go smaller. Just like most of your smaller bambo fly rods are 4.5 to 6ft. You could go with a smaller rod with long ling for extremly tight quarters that we have here in the states.

The market is still in the education phase when it comes to tenkara, and we will continually try providing insights on what makes tenkara, tenkara.

To quote Tom Kirland(publisher of RodMaker) ?A blank is a blank is a blank. Fly rod blanks are made no differently than casting or spinning blanks. As above, they're all tubular shafts. That's all. I have built dozens and dozens of extremely heavy blue water fly rods on 8-feet Back Bouncing blanks. They'll work fine. You just need to match the rod power to the line and distance your customer will be fishing. ?

I recently brought up what I have been seeing happening here to my teacher in Japan, Dr. Hisao Ishigaki. He responded in Japanese saying, ?it?s really a shame this is happening, as some people will not know what tenkara really is?.

Lets face it, this is the USA not Japon. We do not have Yamame, Iwana and Amago. We also have people fishing for panfish and other warmwater species using tenkara rods. Modern Tenkara in Japan has evoled from what it was and continues to evole every day. Just like here in the states. It really sounds that the only way we will every now what tenkara is and understand it is by going to Japan and experince first hand. Well I guess I will never fully understand what Tenkara is or what a Tenkara rod is. I do know I have 3 different brands of tenkara type rods. One being the TUSA Amago and 2 others.

Michael Prybis

Guess it is time to get on my soap box here. I think Chris put it best on one of the threads on this forum as I paraphrase him in saying if the rod feels good to you than that is most important. The beauty of Tenkara and any Fly Fishing for that matter is that it is similar but yet very different for each and every individual person who enjoys this wonderful recreation. From what I have read from a few people is that their favorite rods to use are what might be considered non traditional Tenkara rods. To me understanding the history behind Tenkara Fishing is more valuable and important than are you using a pure Tenara rod or not. If you can appreciate the history and embrace new innovations, which come from new explorations, then Tenkara and or fly fishing in general will be much better off. I am a relative newbie to Tenkara bu love and embrace its history, but more importantly its future. I hope to part of those who help innovate in this deeply rich sport in the years to come.

Cheers,
    Brandon

I am trying to understand the history behind Tenkara. The problem is there is really only one book in english that can be had. The other problem you have is when you ask some people what Tenkara fishing fishing is they tell you what the so called Masters told them. They try to pass that off as traditional tenkara. To me it is Moderen Tenkara Fishing in Japan and not Tradition. It has been evolving since the beginning. To me I love the simplicity and ease of this style of fly fishing. Not overly complicated and can be adaptive to most every condition you come across while fishing.

First, you have to accept that you will never understand the history of tenkara. The early tenkara anglers didn't write about it, so there is virtually no written history to begin with. Second, what is written is almost entirely in Japanese, and the computerized translations are essentially worthless. Third, most of what is available in English is provided by one company that has products to sell and is very concerned with controlling the message. The blog post that explained why their rods are tenkara rods and their competitor's aren't started off by saying "consider this a public service announcement." Need I say more?

Second, you have to understand that "tenkara" is very narrowly defined. Thus anything that strays, even a bit, isn't tenkara "by definition." There is a source that illustrates several different set ups described as historical tenkara. Some used multiple flies, some used added weight, some used floats. Ask a modern Japanese tenkara angler and he will tell you that they weren't tenkara. Why not? Because tenkara is defined as a fishing method that uses only one fly, no weight and no float - so if they did, they couldn't have been tenkara, by definition.

Third, you have to understand that the streams on which tenkara was and is practiced in Japan are different than the streams in the US, or at least in the eastern US. Japan is wracked by frequent typhoons. Most of the stream banks are scoured by frequent flooding and many of the streams have retaining walls to deal with the frequent floods. Look at any of the Japanese videos of the masters fishing, and they are often 10' back on the bank. Do that on the average eastern US brookie stream and you'd have 10' of trees and bushes between you and the water. They fish with 12' rods because there are no overhead tree limbs. They don't need to use short rods. Use a short rod here and you will be told "That's not tenkara" (by definition).

If you recall many of the early threads on tenkara on many forums (even FAOL, before this subforum was established), there were always detractors belittling tenkara and saying why it wouldn't work or wasn't as good as what they were already doing. Without exception, the detractors hadn't ever tried it. That is playing out all over again, except this time the detractors are tenkara anglers (or tenkara rod sellers) who haven't ever tried fishing a 10' wide stream with a 7' long rod; who haven't ever tried casting a 2 ounce rod all day. They're quick to tell you that it won't work, that it's not tenkara, but they've never tried it. I've tried it. It works.

Maybe it's not tenkara. Maybe it's sevenkara(tm). Who cares what you call it? It's fun and it catches fish. Truly, what else matters?

Consider this a public service announcement: It's just fishing.
    Tenkara Bum

"What is Tenkara?" It's a bit like asking "What is jazz?" Some people would say that Kenny G is jazz, but if that's true then why is Louis Armstrong also jazz? How is it that one term, "Jazz", can encompass everything from Bix Beiderbecke to Allan Holdsworth; from Charlie Christian to Charlie Hunter?

The answer is that Tenkara, like jazz, like fly fishing, like any pursuit or endeavor, is a mixture of things. At it's core Tenkara is a rod with no reel. The line is tied to the end of the rod. However, cane fishing is also a single rod with no reel and the line tied to the end. The difference is that in Tenkara you also cast the line in a style very similar to a standard fly fishing cast.

But we must also realize that as broad a definition as that is, there is still a difference between Tenkara the equipment, and Tenkara the technique. Tenkara the technique often uses a single fly which is presented in different ways. So that begs the question "Is using an elk hair caddis on a Tenkara rod still Tenkara?" I think it is. Western fly fishing, for example, originated by casting a dry fly upstream to a rising trout who was swimming in a chalk stream in Great Briton. So is swinging a weighted nymph in a mountain stream in the Sierras is still fly fishing? Of course it is. And what about the guys catching 150 pound tarpon on a fly? That's about as far from a dry fly on a chalk stream as you can get but we still think of it as fly fishing.

I think there's a tendency for people to think that there is one right way and once they've found a way that works then every other way must be wrong. This is true in music, art and even fly fishing. When Daniel from TenkaraUSA says that Tenkara is very useful just about everywhere you'd use a 4wt fly rod or lighter he's not also saying "and therefore you should throw away all your 4wt fly rods". I'm sure that many of us have known, or know of, fly fishermen who think that dry flies are the only way to fly fish. John Geirech once wrote about a time he was fishing with his buddy A.K. Best. When John used a nymph A.K. chided him saying "If I knew you would be fishing bait I wouldn't have brought you." Joking aside I don't think any of us would say that John wasn't fly fishing.

So I guess a general hand waving sort of definition of a Tenkara rod would be: A long, soft action rod with no reel where the line is tied to the end of the rod and the line is designed to be cast.

It's just another fun way to fish and that's what should matter.

Tenkara from what I have extrapolated from all info I have found thus far on the various forums, videos on youtube, japanese sites, western sites is using a rod that has the ability to cast a fly well. I have seen rods from Japan in sizes from 9 feet all the way to 15 feet built for tenkara and listed as such.
    These rods are built with and without cork. Some with widened handles some with virtually no handle at all made of foam, cork, or a small layer of etching or material to create frictional grip. I have seen rods from japan made of carbon of different percentages, as well as bamboo still being made today.

I am new to this tenkara but I am one that when very interested in a subject will learn all I can about the subject. Thus to my wife's dismay I have been up reading to the early morning hours. Fishing every chance I get with my new tenkara gear one of the rods I include in my "tenkara gear" is my 9 foot Soyakaze. It is from what I can tell compared to all Japanese info a tenkara rod. It was just never billed as such.

As chris says without the history written it is hard to understand what originaly was tenkara. If one is going to split hairs over what is and what is not tenkara (got to be this long has to fell like this has to look like that must use one fly et) than by definition the modern equipment is not tenkara at all as it is made of materials the original tenkara fisherman and so called "masters" did not use. Go back 250 years and present them with the carbon fiber rods with fluorocarbon line of today and ask them if this is a tenkara rod. Well you see where I am going with this.

Chris is absolutely spot on when he says "it is just fishing"
    The hubrus at Tenkara USA is not for me and has turned me off completely I have found I am not the only one. When one refers to the so called "masters" of tenkara defining what it is and what it is not carries "some" merit. However and I will not go into it but I have found that Daniel is making tenkara what he wants it to be picking and chosing information from the so called "masters" and using that in marketing and limiting the definition of tenkara to fit within the narrow (minded) structure of his programming of the newcomer to subscribe to his products. He is not the only game in town and he will have stiffer competition. If Orvis decides they can sell his products you can bet your sweet backside they will produce their own to compete directly with Daniel's. No matter what he says about getting into it and opening shop to "educate" the public he is a businessman foremost and is in it for the money. I predict he will grow and will do well but he is doing tenkara a diservice by trying to convince the public what tenkara is and is not. All info in distilation one will find is to sell his rods. Can you blame him. No. Unfortunately for those already programmed over there they will not learn all there is about tenkara or even that the asians do not catch and release fish it goes against their very nature. The catch and release idea is very new to them even still. Yet Daniel intimates that tenkara is all about the catch and release.

I would love to have elder tenkara fisherman from all over japan both the regular joes and the so called "masters" visit us with an excellent interpreter to give us the history and tell us how they fish and what they think tenkara is. Instead of through one interpreter "selling" a product. I have a feeling one would get a different take on the subject entirely.

When I found out that fishing "one fly" meant only one at a time (not two or more at a time) and not using only one patern it solidified my belief that we have an extremely slanted interpretation of tenkara. Dr. Ishigaki himself does not fish only one pattern so I guess he is violating what tenkara in it's pure form is if you are to believe what one will read on another forum.

I will tell you one more thing I would rather have a Japanese rod over a westerners interpretation of a Japanese rod. If I want real Italian food I want an Italian to make it. Get my drift. Not saying western interpretations don't work mind you but I want the purest form availlable.

Don't mean to offend a soul but by god we need the truth not a campaign by one sole manufacturer to tell me what it is or is not. I hate marketing and that is part of my job to sell something to a customer to make one believe it is what they want to believe it is. To make them believe it is the best product there is and this is why you should buy it from me. Don't believe our competitor they will sell you something inferior but if you buy from me you got the best there is. "Trust Me!"

I agree with what both of you say here, Mike and Brandon.

I think some of us are in the dilemma of not wanting to spend time debating tenkara principles, yet are not comfortable sitting still while someone tells us that their way is the right way and all other ways are off the mark.

It's like someone who prefers to tie flies with all natural materials; I think that's fine, but I don't want him dissing me if I like to use synthetic materials. Having seen some of your terrific modern-material (and beautifully tied!) flies, Mike, I'm pretty sure that will make sense to you.

I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how Dan thinks he will sell more rods if he alienates (or even just irritates) some of the customers whose loyalty he had sought and won. I'm sure he knows more about marketing than I do (and that's not saying much), but it does baffle me. He has done so much for tenkara in the past.

For me, I tend to be more attracted by Chris's marketing approach, which I loosely interpret as: tenkara is a big tent, and everyone is welcome.

~
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread