+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blogs: Do authors really check their facts before posting?

Question Blogs: Do authors really check their facts before posting?

Andrew Stiles: Flyfishing Adventures

Read this article, and check out my response! http://bit.ly/Nx12gt

Would You Pay for Online...

NewTyer 1 Guest

Andrew had a good response to your blog. I have checked out his site and various other sites and have read about his lessons which I feel is a pretty good idea myself. He makes money and you get a money back guarantee, seems fair

Just read the article and some of the responses, including Andrews. I don't have a problem with what he is doing, and actually think it is a good idea. I feel this way for several reason which is because of my experiences. The first reason is that I have had to try and teach myself how to become a better and more efficient fly caster. I have read countless articles, asked a million questions, watched a few hundred videos, and still have many problems. I have many friends of whom are very accomplished fly casters, and have spent many hours on the water with them. The problem is they are so involved in their own fly fishing that they don't have much time to help me. To be able to get a lesson at that kind of value is well worth the price. In my journey to become a better caster I haven't been able to get someone to truly watch my casting tecniche and help me. Just because you watch a video on casting doesn't mean you will be able to correct what you are doing wrong, because if you don't know what you are doing wrong it is hard to correct it.

Cheers,
    Brandon

I am presuming "drewfly' is An"drew" Stiles. With that in mind, you have every right to defend yourself. As for fact checking, "opinion" is not fact and cannot be checked (unfortunately). I have learned the most about casting from people observing me and giving me suggestions. Other than my first lesson, I have not paid for casting instructions. I've had some "very nice" guides give me some "very nice" suggestions about my casting. And finally, I've been a computer programmer for over 30 years and develop large financial systems. The Internet is the education medium of the future. Pull a grade school kid out of their eReader and ask them.

Default Thanks for taking a look.

Quote Originally Posted by billhouk View Post
    I am presuming "drewfly' is An"drew" Stiles. With that in mind, you have every right to defend yourself. As for fact checking, "opinion" is not fact and cannot be checked (unfortunately). I have learned the most about casting from people observing me and giving me suggestions. Other than my first lesson, I have not paid for casting instructions. I've had some "very nice" guides give me some "very nice" suggestions about my casting. And finally, I've been a computer programmer for over 30 years and develop large financial systems. The Internet is the education medium of the future. Pull a grade school kid out of their eReader and ask them.
    I have tried to help folks with thier casting in a number of ways drill examples on youtube now I'm ding it via the internet with skype. You can check me out on my web site and youtube search flystiles and what you see is what you get. I'm having fun with my students and the learning creeps in and they enjoy the sport more due to all this technology. thanks for the look and the feed back Tight loops, Andrew Stiles

Ive taught a lot of people I've never met over the internet with nothing more than asking them questions and explaining to them how to understand what is being said and why they don't understand. Its not the students its the instructors who don't understand. Its not what you know its what the student hears that most goes unconsidered. I learned a long time ago to teach my students how to disregard what a fly casting instructor says and understand what they mean. Its not that instructors are intenaly trying to confuse students they have just forgotten what its like to be the student.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Let's see. My short answer to the initial question posed by the site is frankly - NO!
    However, I will not post my answer on that blog because I won't bother registering.

Allan

There are a lot of people who have become internet journalist without considering the impact or that there should be a standard of conduct. Saddly at the same time the professional journalist seem to have forgotten the standard of conduct if it means having an opportunity to be first with a new item. I have been guilty of forwarding an email with information that I did not fully check but it was not posted in a blog. I produce a risk newsletter adapting articles that I feel sure are from reliable sources, I also give credit to the source in case you want to chase it back.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

As a person that is responsible for the technological needs of a SMB I find somethings are done better in person. I have taken many courses via the virtual classroom. I have earned certifications in VMWare and HyperV via virtual classrooms so I know they work. A training course on first aid for first responders (which we have onsite) for example, I think I would want live, hands on training. Something physical like casting I would need to investigate a bit before attempting online.

If it works for you great.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

+ Reply to Thread