+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FOAM FLY SILHOUETTES - Bob Boese - Jul 16, 2012

Blog Entries

Default FOAM FLY SILHOUETTES - Bob Boese - Jul 16, 2012

FOAM FLY SILHOUETTES

Congratulations. You just finished your finest foam Popinator. Sitting in your vise, this star of your collection looks like something you're sure any bass would be proud to eat. On a beautiful day you head to a favorite bass-filled lake. Two hours of fishing later, without a strike or swirl, you curse the weather, the lake and the fish. Sorry, not their fault.

Two items to correct (there are also a couple of other typos...sorry).

The last word in item 3 should be "attractant." I believe in using attractant to hide the human and chemical odors in a foam fly. For my complete explanation please see: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...ese/011209.php

Also, I didn't put down a source for 6mm foam sheets. I use http://www.craftsuppliesforless.com/...amsheets2.html

I enjoyed the article as I tie a good many foam flies. Although I have spent considerable time painting popper bodies, I have begun to think the fish as more attracted to the hackle than the body of the fly. As for the use of attractant on flies, Georgia may be the only place but on artifical only streams, no scents or attractants or baits made with scents may be used.

As my mom, brother and sister all live in south LA and I worked my way through college doing road construction there I alway enjoy the Cajun jokes.

BTW, you wear the platinum blonde look on the hair and beard well.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I gave up putting spots and lines on foam poppers. If they have a tail and legs the fish seem to like them.
    No spots on the bottom of most bugs.

Rick

Excellent article and great advice. We have been making foam poppers for years. Anything fancy on them regarding eyes, spots and even silouhette are purely for the tyer. The bass could care less. My fishing partner makes what he calls barrel poppers. It's simply an half inch wide piece of foam sheet rolled like a cigar around a hook. He might add a feather or two. Unbeleivable how they catch fish. I like to make mine look like something so I take time to add the components that Bob advisesbug.JPG

+ Reply to Thread