+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDC Biot Dun

Blog Entries

Default CDC Biot Dun

Hi,
    This is my attempt at the CDC Biot Dun in a mahogany color.

And a little different color. I like this pattern because I think it resembles the "No Hackle", but is a much better floater and lasts longer...........

Coming at you.........

Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-14-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Nice looking pattern.

Think that will work, I think one of the other Montanas said they were pretty much of a non important hatch at that time of the year , in a previous post somewhere. I would tye up whatever the inside knowledge says and go with that unless you just like burn hooks up and time.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Blog Entries

Fly,
    Thanks. Please see chart at this link.
    PS I love tying - especially new patterns.
    http://www.henrysfork.org/hatch-chart

it may work ,here is a quote trom Pitt" never thought of September as a Mayfly month. When the PMDs fade out in August it tends to become hopper/beatle/ant time for me. Or Renegade time on tributary creeks. Or Damsel fly time on high altitude lagoons. We do get some diminutive Pseudoklingons on the Mo in September. But it's usually dinks that pay attention to those #64 fly specs. Somehow the Mahogony dun never became part of my repertoire. I don't think I've ever seen one before. But I've never gone to the Henry's Fork in the late season either. That is a handsome fly." it my work, i would resort to plan B s a back up

I use a similar pattern for BWOs.

I like putting some dubbing behind the wing, lifting it a bit into a somewhat more realistic position.

Lightbulb Two things ....

Quote Originally Posted by flybugpa View Post
    it may work ,here is a quote trom Pitt" never thought of September as a Mayfly month. When the PMDs fade out in August it tends to become hopper/beatle/ant time for me. Or Renegade time on tributary creeks. Or Damsel fly time on high altitude lagoons. We do get some diminutive Pseudoklingons on the Mo in September. But it's usually dinks that pay attention to those #64 fly specs. Somehow the Mahogony dun never became part of my repertoire. I don't think I've ever seen one before. But I've never gone to the Henry's Fork in the late season either. That is a handsome fly." it my work, i would resort to plan B s a back up
    First - here is a response from another Montana angler, quoting from the same thread -

Sandy -

We do have mahogany duns in the fall over here in this part of the state. I don't pay much attention to that hatch simply because there are other things going on at the same time - hoppers, as you indicated, and probably some October Caddis.

But I did fish the mahogany hatch on the Bitterroot a couple years ago, in late Sept into early Oct as I recall, and caught some pretty nice fishies with a loop wing emerger similar to the one Byron posted. From a quick look at my photo album, I would guess a couple of the pix were from Rock Creek, but I am not positive that is where those pix were taken.

This is not a typical mayfly hatch, from what I have read, whether it occurs in spring or fall. The duns don't stay on the surface long, and some, if not all, do actually fully emerge subsurface. When I was preparing to fish the hatch, I went with an emerger / cripple style fly rather than a dun since that is the form the fishies are most accustomed to seeing - and eating.

John"

Second - Byron is planning for the Henry's Fork. The mahogany dun is a well known and regarded hatch on that river and when it is on, there is no need for a plan B. That is not to say that there will not be some other interesting things going on there in September.

John
    The fish are always right.

Absolutely (to all of the above). I did mention the Mahogany Dun is missing in Montana's East of the Divide lexicon. But I also mentioned I have never fished the Henry's Fork during the late season.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the clarification John and Pitt. I fished the Fork area last September.
    Byron

alrighty then, the dun is on , cast away

+ Reply to Thread