+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best 2wt reel and line?

Default Best 2wt reel and line?

I'm building some Forecast 6' 6" 2wt rods for myself, daughter, and grand daughter. What is the best 2wt reel and line combination? Why?

I've never fished anything this small and light...

Ross Colorado 0 and SA XPS or Airflo technical lines are the fantastic but all that is JMO.

I built the same rod 2 years ago and I love it. I fish with it all the time. I have tried various lines 2 and 3 wt. I am currently using a Sage Ultimate performance DT-2F. I have found the DT is the way to go. Its a great rod. Occasionally I hook up with 12 - 14 inch rainbows and it is a challenge to get them in on that rod. I picked up a reel that is made in china off an auction site. Its cnc'd and not cast and has a good drag system and is about a third the cost. It works great and can take a beating. My local waters are very rough terrain. If you want the site info PM me and I'll get it to you.

Great suggestions but neither the Ross Colorado reel or the Sage Ultimate performance line are still in production.

I have been using a S.A XPS line but plan on trying the Rio Trout LT lines this year. These lines replaced the Sage Ultimate Performance lines and have better floatation in the tip than the S.A. XPS. Though I liked how the XPS cast and presented the fly the sinking tip was annoying at times.

I currently use a Ross Colorado and an older Redington CT reel with my 2wt rods. I especially like the CT 2/3 for its light weight and smooth click and pawl drag, it is quite a bit smoother than the Colorado drag. These are no longer in production but can occasionally be found on ebay or other sources.

A really nice 2wt reel that is light on the wallet and the rod and still in production is the Redington Drift which is a nickel under $100. Another is the TFO No. 1 that comes in just under $120. Both the Redington and TFO have smooth click and pawl drags. The Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock I is $5 more and a favorite in our shop it has a disc drag. All three of these reels are machined from bar stock aluminum and will be very durable.

Since you are not likely to test this reel with long high speed runs by fish most of the options out there are functionally equivalent. So the choice almost comes down to what you want to see hanging on your fly rod.

For sheer aesthetics its hard to beat an Abel TR Light with a trout graphic finish but that set you back about four times as much as the other reels.

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop View Post
    Great suggestions but neither the Ross Colorado reel or the Sage Ultimate performance line are still in production.
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sag...colorFamily=01

Can't tell if this means 00 weight or 2 weight.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

NewTyer 1 Guest

In my opinion, the Redington Drift 2/3 or I also have a Cabelas Cuttrout. If you are still needing a reel, I just got in a beautifu Ocean City No. 76 Plymouth I would let go of the Gander mountian reel and the ocean city. Oh, and another reel I forgot to mention is the Orvis BBS1

Rio's LT lines are worse kinds I have ever tried on a fly rod. They dropped the ball on it when they had the best line years ago and is not that good. I forgot to mention that I am using Airflo's Ridge Technical line as the XPS is on the spool in the drawer.

Thanks for the suggestions and feel free to keep them coming. I have two BBS and a Ross Flycast on my other rods / sizes. I am partial to the BBS series as I have had very good luck with them.

That is the 00 or "double ought" weight

+ Reply to Thread