+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on Tenkara rod brand/model

Question Question on Tenkara rod brand/model

I have been considering Tenkara fishing. I found these rods doing a Google search and wondered if any of you folks have had any experience with these rods? The price point is about right for what I like to spend to give it a try, but I will go higher to get a quality intro rod.

12' Tenkara Rod KASUGO-3607
    http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Tenkara...ASUGO-3607.htm

12' Hirame-L-3608 Tenkara Rod Light Action
    http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Tenkara...ame-L-3608.htm

12' Tenkara Rod WAKATA-3607
    http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Tenkara...AKATA-3607.htm
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Continuing my Tenkara rod search I am amazed at the number of Tenkara rod manufacturers there are. Did you know they make a 40' rod!?

Anywho, I still like to hear from you folks about the above mentioned rods.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Look at tenkarabums site he has evaluated many rods.

Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    Look at tenkarabums site he has evaluated many rods.
    OMG! What a great site. Thanks narcodog.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I have only fished with a 9' Wakata, although there are a number of reviews in the "Your Gear Reviews" section on the Wakata and a couple on the Kasugo. The Harime must be pretty new. I haven't heard of it before or from anyone who has one.

You might also look at the Fountainhead rods http://tenkaraflyfish.webs.com/apps/webstore/ which are about the same price point as the AllFishingBuy rods.
    Tenkara Bum

I have a 12 (Iwana) and a 13 1/2 (Amago) footer (Tenkara USA). If you anticipate larger fish or larger water you may want to go with a longer rod than the 12 foot models. Larger is a perception word. 20+ inch fish have been caught on the Iwanas so 12 may be long enough.

I have 3 rods. TUSA Amago at 13'6", Tenkara-Fishing old 10'2", and my newest rod from TenkaraBum the Daiwa Kiyose 33sf at 11". I have fished all but the last. I just ordered the Daiwa Sunday night from Chris and got it Wensday. This has been my 2nd order from Chris and he came through as usual. Even threw in a rod grip and piece of line which was appreciated.

The 2 rods I have fished have handled bass up to 3 pounds so far. The largest I have caught this year. After fishing the 10 footer, the Amago seems heavy. Since I have yet to fish the 33sf I can not tell you what it will handle. I can tell you that it feels light and cast a 15 ft size 4 level line easily. I also feels stiffer than the TF 10', almost as stiff as the Amago. I am waiting to more put it to use this weekend to see how it fares. You can not go wrong with any of these IMHO. The longer the rods do have limitations as far as fishing tighter places and the smaller rods have limitations as far how far they be fished.

I purchased the Hirame 12ft 6:4 rod from AFB and it seems to be a very nice rod and beautiful. Unfortunately I have only fished it twice. It casts well and seems to be very well made. It also has a swivel where the lilian connects which is a nice feature as it makes it easier when rolling line on holder as it helps the line from getting coiled around itself. Should it get stolen I would buy another as the price point and quality is excellent. I will keep you all posted if I find any criticism or concerns about the rod.

As far as the transaction with AFB it was excellent. Ordered in the evening and they processed and shipped it out the next day. Arrived in a long triangular box via USPS. I would do business with them again without hesitation.

One more thing if you look closely at the Nissin on the same page it looks identical other than the branding and the metal cap on the handle. I suspect it is the same rod.
    Last edited by JC_Hall; 07-17-2012 at 07:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread