No doubt some guides will be very receptive and some will be less so, but Orvis is interested in tenkara and has been for a while. Personally, I think this is a brilliant move on their part. How else could they have gotten good hard data on the number of their own customers who would buy a tenkara rod without having to make the investment required for product development and production? If Orvis sells a lot of rods they'll surely make that investment and have their own rods in a couple years. If the rods don't sell, they're not out much.

I also have no doubt that there are people who will buy TenkaraUSA rods now that wouldn't have before, just because the rod now has the "Orvis stamp of approval." Many - probably most - of those purchases will not actually be from Orvis but will be direct from TenkaraUSA or through it's dealer network. Going one step further, Orvis has approved tenkara, not just TenkaraUSA, so other tenkara rod companies should see their sales pick up. More Fountainheads, more Tenkara-Fishing.com rods, more Esoteric Tackle rods, and probably more Daiwas as well.

In a sense, it is like having a tenkara forum here on FAOL. It shows acceptance of tenkara by people whose names (at least screen names) you know and respect. That helps a lot when trying to decide whether to try something new.

I see it as a very positive step, and say congratulations to TenkaraUSA and to Orvis.