+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm a very lucky flyfisher

Default I'm a very lucky flyfisher

I'm still going to the gorgeous river that I used to fish during my childhood. That was sometimes with my father (who's fishing the Endless River) and sometimes with old friends.
    The river is in great shape, the waters are pure crystal like during those old days. I use to go alone or with my wife and fish 4-6 hours walk-and-wade for browns, rainbows and some possible nice brookies. 99% on dries and 99% without other humans in the river. The deep forests of deep greens, the mountains of granite are there. An occasional kingfisher observing me, hawks, and some boar in the bushes making noice.
    Diverse hatches are always in the air during mornings and late in the afternoons. Is like a continue dream and I really consider myself a lucky flyfisher. The Time is stopped there for some reason.
    What about you, guys? Are you still visiting those old streams of your childhood?

Regards,

I live half way round the world from my childhood haunts and considering that I was raised in some very rough housing estates I am lucky to be in NZ where the rivers are mostly lovely, the access easy and the bush is safe!
    Good to hear "your" stream has remained crystal clear and a lovely place to be.
    All the best.
    Mike

I still fish many of the waters I grew up fishing with my Dad. For the most part they are as nice if not better than before, save for a bit more limited access now due to private camps.

Good to hear you have found a place to call home waters over all these years.

Ralph

When I was a kid, we fished the local creeks for carp using corn (sometimes we pre-gamed the hole the night before by dumping in a big can of Niblets) or Shredded Wheat balls. I was the upscale fisher, using a South Bend fiberglass spinning rod and Mitchell 300 reel; my buddies had Zebco spincast outfits that imparted drag during a carp's run by throwing hopeless tangles inside the spool. Haven't been back in a very, very long time, but I would imagine I could still find a carp or two in those creeks. Glad to hear you can still visit the waters of your youth.

Regards,
    Scott

I still fish the local streams of my youth. Some of them have improved and others are in decline. Your place seems so beautiful and you are truly blessed to be able to fish for brookies.

Thank you folks. I'm also glad that you can wet your boots in your beloved rivers. And yes lastchance, the brookies are happy in that ecosystem and also - some of them -grow big.

I have the grace to fish streams now I used to dream of.......
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

I didn't start fishing rivers and streams till after I turned 50. Now that I'm halfway through my 60's I can no longer wade. I do however, love to frequent those rivers and streams as a great place to just camp and relax.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...ters/part5.php
    These days my jon boat and I frequent the lakes of my youth.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

When I was young,I created the dreams.Now as I get older,I seem to appreciate those times more.

+ Reply to Thread