+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Competive fly fishing

Default Competive fly fishing

Competive fly fishing seems to be gaining around here. I don't like it! I'd like to know what others think.

Quote Originally Posted by oldster View Post
    Competive fly fishing seems to be gaining around here. I don't like it! I'd like to know what others think.
    To each his/her own, I guess, but fly fishing and competition seem to go together like, well, they just don't. As long as they stay off our fave waters.

Chuck

In my opinion, it's gauche.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I know it's not for me. Heck, I don't get competitive fishing at all. I don't want to think about someday seeing a metalflake red drift boat with guys in NASCAR style sponsor shirts...
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Not my type of thing. When I go fly fishing I am doing it to enjoy the time on the water and make memories for myself, last thing I want to do is make a competition out of it. I guess to each his own though.

Steve

Competitive Fly Fishing is a product of the current X-Game generation for sure. I have absolutely NO problem with organized CASTING competition. I do however think that formal competition does not belong on trout streams. I thought Fly Fishing was supposed to be a quite, contemplative sport? I know a few X-tournament BASS fishermen that took up fly fishing because they wanted to enjoy FISHING again. Most have sold off their flashy bass boats and conventional tackle, and have stuck with fly fishing. I have a few younger friends who fish in competitions, but they know it is not for me. I have more than once politely declined to be a field judge in such events. Perhaps this is another reason why I find Euro-nymphing to be so ridiculous, and do not consider it a form of fly fishing. Guess I'm becoming just another old cantankerous fuddy-duddy!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

No way. i do favor barbless hooks though and have recently swiched over to completely barbless
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

I have participated in a number of catch, photo, and release tournements. The competetiton was friendly and low key. Prizes were plaques or a small amount of cash or products like pliers or fly lines or sunglasses. All included a raffle that all entrants were entered in and a catered Bar-B-Que. Products for the raffle were donated by sponsors and were worth more than the prize payouts. So for example, a participant who scored no points in the competition might come away from the raffle with a fish graphic Abel reel or Sage Z-Axis rod or something. These events were a lot of fun.

Not for me. Fly Fishing is a personal thing for me. It's a competition between me and the fish using the water I ply. It's not a competition between me and a sponsored fisher person wearing sponsor's patches and gear offered by manufacturers looking to sell more successful tactics. BPS, Cabela's & Orvis, along with lots of others support competitive fishing as a way to sell their products, and I don't blame them. It creates a venue for improvement of supplies and gear. But for me, I'd be happiest to trick a rainbow trout into a dry fly drifted over a deep pool with an old fashioned fiberglass rod, level tippet and a Royal Coachman.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Competive fly "casting" , yes. Competive fly "fishing" , no.

+ Reply to Thread