You mentioned Rock Creek, which is quite a ways from Helena unless there's another Rock Creek near Helena. Rock Creek is about 35 miles east of Missoula. It's fantastic fishing.

If you're going to go as far as Rock Creek, then you might try the Blackfoot, which is the river I grew up on. It's on 200 between Helena and Missoula.

Since you'll be in Dillon, there are a whole bunch of rivers. The Ruby, Beaverhead, and Bighole are all right around there and come together to form the Jefferson. Within a hundred miles you also have the Gallatin and Madison...and of course the Missouri. The Bighole, Madison, and Gallatin are very well-known. Another short clip and you've got the Yellowstone, but that might be a little out of range. Avoid the lower Madison and lower Gallatin on the weekends.

I have no idea what Rock Creek is like now, but when I used to fish it 15 years ago it wasn't terribly crowded, and the fishing was always great. Nice cutthroat. If the lower accesses are overrun then you can drive way up and find more (although it can get low in the late summer). I don't think you could go wrong with Rock Creek, and hit the Blackfoot on the way. (I'm not going to give detail, but around twenty to thirty miles from where the blackfoot hits the clark fork is where it starts to get good). If hopper season comes early then you could have a hell of a good time on that river.

[This message has been edited by sm2k (edited 14 June 2006).]

[This message has been edited by sm2k (edited 14 June 2006).]