+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: South Platte carp

Default South Platte carp

I spent yesterday morning fishing the South Platte River, just south of Denver for carp. I found a good number of them, but could not get any to eat what I was offering. I have had good luck at a local lake with Barry's Carp Flies and Clouser Swimming Nymphs, but these river carp were not interested. I also tried a BH hare's ear, a pheasant tail, and a light green soft hackle. No interest in any of them. The carp were feeding, I just couldn't figure out what they were going for. The smallest flies I tried were about a size 14-16, so I may not have gone small enough. I tried using a dead drift and a very slow retrieve, but could not interest them at all.

Any suggestions are appreciated...

Thanks,
    Ted

From what I have heard the south platte carp are pretty finicky. You might try a San Juan worm...I know one of my CO buddies does well on his version (the trouser worm). you can check his pattern out here:

http://www.flycarpin.com/2011/03/mct...carp-worm.html

My go to is a green soft hackle, but the carp I fish for are a little less aggressive than the south platte fish from what I have heard. Good luck man!

Hi John,

Thanks for the response. I almost tried a San Juan worm, but just didn't get around to it. Next time I will try one. I will also tie up some of those trouser worms.

Thanks,
    Ted

A pink San Juan worm made all the difference this weekend. Now all I need to do is figure out how to keep them out of the underwater snags once I hook them!

Not the South Platte, but every carp I have caught this year and past has all been on a Yellow softhackle glow bug. Seriously, this fly catches carp. I posted it up on another forum and others have tried it and caught carp....just a thought.

Congrats man! keep t em.

I got this one on Saturday on my standard green soft hackle...

NICE, I never have anyone there to take MY picture other that a couple. I think I have that same Buff...LOL

FlyGoddess,
    Thanks for the recommendation of the softhackle glo bug. Is this tied with egg yarn or estaz? In the photo it seems to have the shine of estaz (crystal chennille). Do you weight the fly at all? I think I will tie a few of these and give them a try next weekend.
    Thanks,
    Ted

It is tied with crystal Estaz. Figure eight it to build it up.

I love ALLEN'S SW001 #6 for this fly but circle hooks work well too. No weight. It works both ways. Tug on it to sink it, but I use a clouser type fly about 3' in front to get it down.

Thanks! I will tie up a few for this weekend and let you know how they work in the Platte.
    Ted

+ Reply to Thread