+ Reply to Thread

Thread: South Platte carp

Hybrid View

Default South Platte carp

I spent yesterday morning fishing the South Platte River, just south of Denver for carp. I found a good number of them, but could not get any to eat what I was offering. I have had good luck at a local lake with Barry's Carp Flies and Clouser Swimming Nymphs, but these river carp were not interested. I also tried a BH hare's ear, a pheasant tail, and a light green soft hackle. No interest in any of them. The carp were feeding, I just couldn't figure out what they were going for. The smallest flies I tried were about a size 14-16, so I may not have gone small enough. I tried using a dead drift and a very slow retrieve, but could not interest them at all.

Any suggestions are appreciated...

Thanks,
    Ted

From what I have heard the south platte carp are pretty finicky. You might try a San Juan worm...I know one of my CO buddies does well on his version (the trouser worm). you can check his pattern out here:

http://www.flycarpin.com/2011/03/mct...carp-worm.html

My go to is a green soft hackle, but the carp I fish for are a little less aggressive than the south platte fish from what I have heard. Good luck man!

Hi John,

Thanks for the response. I almost tried a San Juan worm, but just didn't get around to it. Next time I will try one. I will also tie up some of those trouser worms.

Thanks,
    Ted

A pink San Juan worm made all the difference this weekend. Now all I need to do is figure out how to keep them out of the underwater snags once I hook them!

Not the South Platte, but every carp I have caught this year and past has all been on a Yellow softhackle glow bug. Seriously, this fly catches carp. I posted it up on another forum and others have tried it and caught carp....just a thought.

Congrats man! keep t em.

I got this one on Saturday on my standard green soft hackle...

+ Reply to Thread