+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Multi fly rigs (silly question)

Hybrid View

Default Multi fly rigs (silly question)

Could anyone provide me pictures of multi-fly rigs please?

It's something I've never done before & I'd like to try a nymph under a dry. How do I rig the two together & how far beneath the dry should I fish the nymph?
    I recall reading of 3 or 4 flies being rigged on droppers at various depths, but I can't figure out how on earth they'd be rigged or cast!

Blog Entries

Rob,

The dropper nymph, or it could be another dry, can be anywhere from say 8 inches to 2 feet below the dry. Some people go longer but if so, I would go to a double nymph rig with a strike indicator (yea, I know, a bobber )

The depth is determined by what type of nymph, and how close you want it to the surface. The nymph can be a bead head, where it will drop deeper, or virtually no weight where it will be just under the surface like an emerger.

I usually tie it off the curve of the top fly and make sure your dry is big enough to stay afloat with a dropper tied to it.

Fluorocarbon makes a great tippet material for these.

Open up your cast, don't do a tight loop and minimize your false casting. The longer that dry/dropper is in the air and not on the water the greater the risk of a mess, which you will get every so often anyway.

It can be a very effective way to catch trout but I tend to not like using a dry/dropper much, especially when drifting a river, every mess means you will miss a lot of good fishing area if you can't anchor.

Good luck.

Larry ---sagefisher---

sagefisher has offered some excellent advice. Can't add much to that. Good luck with dropper rigs!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

if you end up with a two nymph rig, I like big/little, dark/light. that way the fish have a choice, and if one is getting hit more than another, you can rerig with two little darks or what have you.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Here's a good article on the topic. The instructions at the bottom for tying the knot on your fingers initially (instead of trying to tie it to the hook bend) will be extremely valuable.

http://midcurrent.com/knots/seeing-double/

Look at http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...ese/122908.php
    About half way through you will see the three primary methods for attaching the dropper to the dry.

Blog Entries

Ray,

I know what you mean, I used to have that problem as well so I started double wrapping the tippet around the bend rather than just one wrap then I tie the know. That stopped the lost flies, even on the commercially made barbless hooks.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

I don''t tye my first fly to the tippet at all, I just run the tippet through the eye, then tie smaller tippet ( usually flouro ) with a blood knot. I learned this watching those Leroy Hyatt DVD's

+ Reply to Thread