+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home made zonkers

Hybrid View

Default Home made zonkers

Bought some cones to make bunny leeches, but I have trouble cutting the rabbit strips. Any suggestions?
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

Single-edge razor or X-acto knife, metal straight edge, a good surface to cut on (clip board works well and secures the skin; I cut with the tanned side up) and a light touch. If your into production tying you can buy one of those zonker cutters or make your own with razor blades and metal washers:

http://flytyingclub.org/fly-tying-vi...r-strip-cutter

Regards,
    Scott

I have found a different way to cut strips that works well for me. You take business card sized rubberized magnets (available from any office supply store) and insert double edged razors between the card magnets so that about 1/3 of the corner of the razor blade is sticking out. Depending on how thick you want the zonker strips, place 2 or 3 cards between each razor blade. With your razor blades lined up, wrap the magnets toghtly with masking tape to keep every thing in place. Now, clamp the "block" with the blades sticking up in some sort of a vise. I use a small drill press vise or any shop vise will work fine. Finally, hold the rabbit pelt skin side down (fur side up) and stretch it tightly between your hands and draw it across the razor blades. It will produce 5 or 6 perfect zonker strips with each pass depending on how many razor blades you have inserted into the magnets. Be very careful with this step as those razor blades are extremely sharp and you can really cut yourself. I actually use a 3/4 inch piece of plastic hose that I've slit lengthwise to protect my finger tips during this operation. Using this method, you will be able to reduce a full rabbit pelt into perfect zonker strips in about 2 minutes. I usually split the pelt lengthwise and use one half for zonker strips and the other half for cross cut zonkers since I use both in my tying. I hope this helps.

Jim Smith

Double edge razor blades are the sharpest.

Tension on the pelt is paramount.

Picture may help.....

Ducksterman,

Thanks for adding the photos. I really like to one using washers as it looks like it would be very easy to grip safely and/or lock in place to pull a pelt across.

Jim Smith

It's my favorite too, Jim. I pull the cutter but either way I think the curvature does and would ride well on the skin.

+ Reply to Thread