+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UV SOFT HACKLE CADDIS PUPA - Fly of the Week - Jul 02, 2012

Blog Entries

Default UV SOFT HACKLE CADDIS PUPA - Fly of the Week - Jul 02, 2012

UV SOFT HACKLE CADDIS PUPA

This fly developed after a tour last summer of Hareline Dubbing and a conversation with Marcos Vergara regarding the fish attracting properties of their UV materials. He referred me to a book titled, The New Scientific Angling - Trout and Ultraviolet Vision. The author does a decent job of presenting the limited scientific evidence regarding UV receptors in trout eyes and in the UV reflective body parts of hatching aquatic insects. There is scientific evidence that the UV spectrum penetrates the water to a greater degree than the rest of the light spectrum. I decided to do my own research and let the trout decide.

The UV Soft Hackle Caddis Pupa is the first Fly Of The Week article by Mike Telford. Great fly pattern article, I will be sure to add this fly pattern to my nymph/pupa fly box.... ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Pretty, simple and pretty simple; nice fly. I've been adding UV dubbing to a lot of my flies, particularly caddis, in the hope that it will at least partially overcome my incompetence.

Regards,
    Scott

yep. that dog will hunt!
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Nice looking fly. I have also been incorporating more UV materials into some of my patterns. While I didn't track data or conduct any sort of experiment, I can say that UV materials seem to make for a productive fly.

+ Reply to Thread